Benson?s 40 B Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Benson’s 40 B Build

I guess that I will chronicle this setup. Yesterday I boughta 40 B and stand from Petco… the dollar a gallon sale. My plan is to take downmy 29 gallon tank and replace it with the 40B. This morning I have ordered fromBRS the dry reef saver rock. I am hoping that it is cleaner than the dry Fiji rock I gotfrom them. I also ordered more of the Dr Tim’s One and Only bacteria. I stillneed to order the lights from RapidLed.

I am looking at having the tank drilled by the local glassshop this weekend. Then I will paint the back. Not sure what color to paint it.Black hides all the pipes and overflow boxes better, but blue looks nice withthe good lighting.

I will still use the 20 gallon sump, protein skimmer,heater, phosphate reactor, and auto top off system that I have on the 29. Iwill use some of the live rock along with the rock I ordered. I also plan onusing some of the live rock in my 20L once that tank is cycled.

Pictures to follow!!!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Black background makes all the stuff inside, corals and fish, stand out more. If you go blue, go with a very dark blue, almost black. I originally went with what I thought was a dark blue background and when I put water and lights to it, it was much lighter looking than the it appeared when first painted. I was not happy with it and ended up taking it off and going black and I am happy with it. Coralline also looks much better, and grows better, against a black background.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I didn't like the black much as it made the tank look smaller but the blue I have now is too light like Ace menetioned. If I were to do it again I would go with a darker blue.

With the reef saver, how about just adding it to the 40B with a chunk of LR from your 29 along with a couple ziplocs worth of your 29's sand and let the LR seed the reef saver verus "cycling" the tank? You could also seed/cycle the dry rock with a piece of the LR in a rubbermaid and move the 29 over using the rest of the rock. All you're doing is moving the same bioload to a larger body of water. Once the dry rock is seeded you can add it to the tank. Technically if the dry rock is clean you could do it all at once but I think making sure the rock is good and seeded would be best.

EDIT: Ace-would you mind taking a look at steelerfan's thread? He is having what appears to be a very prolonged bacteria bloom and I just don't have any answers for him. He went with straight dry rock and sand and a table shrimp, had a very abbreviated cycle and things went ok for a while. Then the bloom kicked in. No fish in the tank.

Benson - sorry to bring up another's build in your thread but I know you have been trying to help steeler too. Would like Ace to take a look if he has time.

Last edited:

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
:) thanks greech,

hope benson doesn't mind.

gonna be watching his build and seeing what roch he likes better.

the bug has really bit you benson.

gonna need an new addition put on soon :)

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Here is all the normal sizes.. bulkhead sizes vs hole sizes. I would do at least a 1" bulkhead on your tank.

SCHEDULE 40
1/2" Bulkhead needs a 1-1/8" Hole
3/4" Bulkhead needs a 1-1/2" Hole
1" Bulkhead needs a 1-3/4" Hole
1-1/2" Bulkhead needs a 2-3/8" Hole
2" Bulkhead needs a 3" Hole

SCHEDULE 80
1/2" Bulkhead needs a 1-3/8" Hole
3/4" Bulkhead needs a 1-5/8" Hole
1" Bulkhead needs a 1-7/8" Hole
1-1/2" Bulkhead needs a 2-5/8" Hole
2" Bulkhead needs a 3-1/4" Hole

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
this thread looks promising, im gonna follow along.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Oh, and I meant 1" minimum for the drain line.. for the return you can go 1/2" or 3/4" bulkhead, or even 2x 1/2" if you wanted to have 2 returns (although I don't think that is needed and I would recommend just 1 return hole to keep it simple). At $20 per hole from the glass shop I would think doing 2 holes (drain and return) is enough $ to spend, being the 2 holes is going to = the cost of the tank. ;)

Edit: One more thing.. just an FYI, most glass shops will not offer any type of warranty.. if they break the tank while drilling it your out of luck, they won't cover buying you a new tank. Although chances are slim they would break the tank, I still like doing it myself for several reasons, experience, and since it is my tank I will be extra careful to go slow and do it right, but that also means buying your own cutting bits which is not really worth it if you only plan on using them once. Just throwing that information out there so you know what to expect.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store