coldwater algee eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
ye my tank is a 75 with 3 goldies (going into a pond soon then getting three more smaller ones)

my tank gets insane algee coz of sun name a good algee eater?

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
its out of direct sunlight its 22 centigrade
i want a algee eater cause i got one when i was little and it grew a foot long and i grew very attached to it but i had to give it to a pond i still see it to-date so i want one

it was like a catfish eel thing

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
which one because i know lots of them are coldwater

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Just get yourself a common Pleco. They are **** near bullet proof. I have 4 in my pond and the temps range from 55 degrees to over 100 degrees. They are happy

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
how big are them guys in you pond

so maybe 1 commen pleco and some small algee eaters ? suggestions?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Most "common" plecos get large, lazy, and create enough waste that you are basically counteracting any algae-eating abilities they might have...JMO. A 48"x18" footprint is really pushing it for space and unless you really know which species you are getting (darn near impossible with the way most places label plecos) and their potential size beforehand I strongly suggest not buying one.

I suppose you could put them in your pond, however, unless you live in an area where the temp of the pond wouldn't drop below ~70F (they are tropical fish after all) you would need a large enough tank to over-winter them anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store