Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-23-2012 10:55 PM

stocking ideas for a 38 g tank or 40 g breeder tank or a 46 g bowfront tank

Hi guys i am probably going to get either a 38 gallon tank or a 40 gallon breeder tank or a 46 gallon bow front tank. I want to move my angelfish and tiger barbs into one of these tank that i get. I need your guys help on telling me if its over stocked or not. I want to put 1, 2 or 3 (3 would be best because there eating my oto cat suckerfish) angelfish in one of these and i want to put my 8 tiger barbs in there with them (4 tiger and 4 green) and i want to get 1 or 2 more tigers and 1 or 2 more green so they will be a good school (ill probably get 1 more of each and see if they school and if they dont ill get 1 more of each color after that making 2 more of each color). And i also have 4 platies (witch i can move 2 of them to a 10 gallon if needed) 1 male molly, 1 male gardneri killifish 1 really peaceful black ruby barb and 1 red glass barb. So i wanted to put 3 angelfish 8-10 tiger barbs, 2-4 plates, 1 molly, 1 killifish, 1 black ruby barb and 1 red glass back in one of these tanks. So if you could tell me what you think that would be great. Thanks

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jon
    Blog Entries
    do not put tiger barbs with angelfish in any size of tank. the tiger barbs will shred through the angels' fins.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ritap
    Last Activity
    03-21-2014 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jm1212 View Post
    do not put tiger barbs with angelfish in any size of tank. the tiger barbs will shred through the angels' fins.
    +1, unless they are already used to each other, but don't add more.

I am pretty sure the rest of your barbs need schools, so I would rehome the tigers unless you have other tanks running and can put them in there. I am not sure about the killifish with angels, but probably they would be fine. Same with platys.

JMO, but I would do this, as this is very simple

1 angelfish(start out with a small one, unless you already have an adult)
    12-14 green neon tetras OR 10-12 of any other schooler like harlequin rasboras, cardinals, etc.
    1 pair dwarf cichlids(rams, apistos, etc.)
    6 corys(albino, julii, sterbai, GE, panda, etc.)
    your ottos

and that is the simplest stocking that should be perfect.

JMO, though. If you really like the barbs, you can rehome the angel, and make it a barbs tank by doing something like this..............

6 tiger barbs
    no green tigers unless you really want them
    6 black ruby barbs
    6 red glass barbs
    a few bottom dwellers
    if the barbs are peacefulish, then you could put in the killi
    the platys and molly
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfFrozen View Post
    Stop thinking like a smart person!!!!! lol Pfft! Dubstep is the best thing since sex! Sorry... just wanted to take your ears virginity with some of those artists drops... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkxx View Post
    Skrillex and pendulam give everyone eargasms, so I'll give you that.
    But some of it sounds like a transformer beating the crap out of a dolphin...

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFishBoss97 View Post
    +1, unless they are already used to each other, but don't add more.

I am pretty sure the rest of your barbs need schools, so I would rehome the tigers unless you have other tanks running and can put them in there. I am not sure about the killifish with angels, but probably they would be fine. Same with platys.

JMO, but I would do this, as this is very simple

1 angelfish(start out with a small one, unless you already have an adult)
    12-14 green neon tetras OR 10-12 of any other schooler like harlequin rasboras, cardinals, etc.
    1 pair dwarf cichlids(rams, apistos, etc.)
    6 corys(albino, julii, sterbai, GE, panda, etc.)
    your ottos

and that is the simplest stocking that should be perfect.

JMO, though. If you really like the barbs, you can rehome the angel, and make it a barbs tank by doing something like this..............

6 tiger barbs
    no green tigers unless you really want them
    6 black ruby barbs
    6 red glass barbs
    a few bottom dwellers
    if the barbs are peacefulish, then you could put in the killi
    the platys and molly
    Why no green tiger barbs? And see heres the thing i already have all the fish i listed just in separate tanks and i need to move them out to make more room. And the 1 of the angelfish is small and the others are about 3 inches. I was thinking on doing the fish in a 46 gallon and put some decors to get in the way of the barbs if the do want to nip the angelfish. What do you think?

I dont do Tuesdays. spencerguy1's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Spencer
    Last Activity
    06-17-2014 4:37 PM
    if youre gonna keep the barbs from nipping, youll need a huge school of them, but that might be worse as to cause more nipping. barbs with angels is too big of a gamble.

The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different results.

-Anonymous

Usergroup
    AC Members
    You will never be able to get away with angels and tigers in the same tank. IME if it's not one it's the other... Don't even try it if you valuue your angel. If you could keep two tanks running instead of just one, that would give you the space you need for all the fish. If that is an option I'd have the tigers (and green tigers) together then bump up the number of black rubies and glass barbs and keep all of those together. Then keep all the other fish with the angels in a different tank. Your otos should be fine in either tank. If that is not possible the two other barb species should be fine with angels provided you give them schools so you could rehome the tigers and keep everything else.

HTH
    Science is constructed of facts as a house is of stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house.
    ~Henri Poincare

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
    ~Albert Einstein

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Josh
    Not all fish are the same but IMO it is not worth the risk putting tb's with an angel if you value the angel's fins. Also, keep in mind a trio may work for a while but chances are you would get a pair and in a tank that size the outcast would probably get beat on.
    20 gallon long planted
    My carnivorous plants

Quote Originally Posted by Rbishop View Post
    I like the movie Goonies...pretty sure it was a historical documentary....

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jon
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsoccer20 View Post
    Why no green tiger barbs? And see heres the thing i already have all the fish i listed just in separate tanks and i need to move them out to make more room. And the 1 of the angelfish is small and the others are about 3 inches. I was thinking on doing the fish in a 46 gallon and put some decors to get in the way of the barbs if the do want to nip the angelfish. What do you think?
    the barbs will still nip at the angels. angels and tiger barbs is a classic don't in terms of stocking. it might be working now, but once you move them into a bigger tank and the fish have more space and grow in size and perhaps even aggression, the tide could turn quickly. just don't house them together.

Fishlover Extraordinaire Fishfriend1's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Mr. Palmer
    Blog Entries
    6XBronze Corys
    5XGlass/Ghost Cats
    5XPreacox Rainbowfish
    12XNeon Tetra

That's my suggestion. Peaceful schooling fish

NOTE:Angels cannot go with neons, ever. The neons will become pretty treats for them!
    Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Budda
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendesh
    Welcome to Ikebukuro, watch out for flying vending machines.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Ok i have one more question to ask. How do other people pull it off? Like you can go on youtube and find tiger barbs and angelfish in the same tank and there never mean to each other. Look up tiger barbs and angelfish in 25 gallon tank. There is a video under that i really like and gave me the idea it would look cool with those fish together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information