Feedback & ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
G'day, g'day everyone!

Jeeze, been a long time since I made a thread, usually just skulking about the forums or making the odd post, or (rarely, but getting more frequent) dropping into chat to say hello. Anyways, that's not the point, but just happened to come to mind.

Now, as a few know I left the hobby for a short while (about 18 months), though I continued to keep some of my older fish (old angelfish & some bettas, which slowly died off from age), & then started looking back into it late last year when I cleaned out & set up my 7.5 gal. Earlier in the year, I refilled the 75gal community & I set myself up for Betta breeding again, though the community stayed empty of fish until May & I reconsidered the Bettas & decided I'll hold off till later in the year, when I have time off (October & then some in November).

In May, my brother & dad put some wild fish they'd trapped when they'd gone camping in the tank, so those fish just lived in the tank, with a few scant plants & a buncha big rocks, gravel & filtration. Until recently, it sat there just like that.
Probably a bit over two weeks ago, got my act together & pulled out the plants, rocks, gravel vacuumed the tank (I emptied probably the entire tank twice & refilled it), checked all the filter bits, gotta replace some power heads & a heater, but everything else is working. Then, replaced with some different rocks & put in plants, added salt & let it sit for a couple days.
Tested the params with an API liquid test kit, looked good, so added my Plakat betta male, Turbo, & my rescue female Princess Peach (I was playing some Mario game at a friends when I noticed this sad excuse for a fish in a vase, so took her home with me, pretty ugly looking but I love her). Got some other fish from an out of school course I was doing this last 6 months, added them a few days after the bettas.
Anyways, I noticed that the wild fish had Ich the day after I added the other fish, so I've been treating the tank. They've been getting a water change every Wednesday, that plus a gravel vac & algae scraping every Sunday (going to keep it up too). So far, no one has died, & a lot of them are actually looking pretty fab now.

Now, at current, I've got thr 75gal stocked accordingly:
4 Silver Tip tetras
4 Lemon tetras (originally only 1, but got 3 more Tuesday)
3 Zebra Danios
3 White Clouds
4 Platys (2 male, 2 female, got some fry in a seperate container)
2 Bettas

I'm going to add another 2-3 Zebra Danios & White Clouds, to give them a little school. The platys are acting as live food production for everyone, so I'm not worried about their numbers. I plan to add in 2 Bristlenose Plecos, as I've had them before & they've always done well.
However, I would like to put 5-6 Congo Tetras as the 'big' fish & 5-6 Neon or Cardinal Tetras for more colour, plus 3 Yoyo & 3 Dwarf Chain loaches, or 6 Kuhli Loaches (yes, I like loaches). I'm thinking I may avoid the Kuhli's, as I can only get them as little fish, & Turbo would likely try to eat them before they were too big to fit in his gob. I also would like to add in 4 cories (Peppered or Pandas). Is this a bit over acheiving? Bit over the top on stocking? I was just thinking, since I'm doing quite an amount of maintanence on it, it could work out, but figured I'd get a few other opinions on it.

Whilst I'm treating the tank for Ich, I won't be adding anymore fish, & the loaches wouldn't be added in until everything is established & nothing new is being added, as scaleless fish are hard to treat (looking at a few months, FYI, going to be a long process for establishment). As is, it looks like the Ich is under control for no other fish have gotten it & that on the wild fish, the spots are slowly disappearing. I'm giving them all a couple days break from treatment, but I'll be dosing the tank & w/c Tuesday night, so I can sleep in Wednesday (Sunday & Wednesdays are my usual days off). So any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are appreciated :)

Also, my old red Veiltail Betta boy in my 5.5gal died (just shy of 3, poor man), so I'm considering moving the Pacific Blue Eyes to that tank & keeping it as just them, the snails & the Kuhli loaches (no way in Hell would I be able to get them out of that tank). I figured it'd best, as I can keep the Leopard/Spotted Danios in their current tank (7.5gal, lots of current in it), & have the PBE still in my room where I can keep an eye on them. I've only got 3 at the moment, will likely get another two, but they're quite hard to get hold of & these ones aren't the best, though a bit of care & they'll probably be fine.

So, yeah. Sorry this got a bit long, but any feedback is welcomed :)

Cheers.

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Also, any alternatives that could be suggested would be welcomed too, but I do have to avoid shrimp due to the Bettas, or at least have suggestions of larger shrimp types that won't eat my smaller fish. Even then, shrimps are extremely! hard to find in my area (btw, I'm in Oz for those that don't know :)).

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The stocking works for me, though I personally like larger groups of fewer types...just a personal thing.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
That stocking seems fine to me too. I personally would skip chain loaches and get 6 yoyos since I love them so much, and instead of congos, get a giant school of harlequin rasboras or cardinal tetras, but JMO.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
red cherry shrimp might do ok in that givin enough hiding space. the bettas might get a few but im sure enough would survive to keep a colony going.

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
I'm thinking I may remove the White Clouds & Zebras, boost the Lemons & Silver Tips up to schools of 6 a short time before I get the other fish. I've got another tank that's cycled sitting in my garage, which is empty & I've just left it running because I don't want to lose the bacteria. Think it's a 12gal, I'm not quite sure, but I'll just have to find a place to put it really. If I do that, I'll just go with one species of Loach in the 75 & put the other in the 12 (???).

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Just to revive an old thread of mine, rather than make another one much that same, thought I'd update on the stocking.

Both Bettas have since died. Princess Peach was God only knows how old, but she really started to slow down & even after going into QT, being put onto live & frozen foods, along with some medications (fungal, bacterial, broad spectrum), but she just faded away & died. Turbo I just found dead in the tank, but params were fine.
He ate two of the Zebra Danios & took a bite outta one of the Silver Tips before dying, ever so thoughtful *rolls eyes* :)
I lost two Lemon Tetras, just up & gone. The injured Silver Tip also ended up dying. I removed the White Clouds & Zebra Danio.
At current tonight, the stocking is:
4 BN Plecos
4 Platys
2 Lemon Tetras
3 Silver Tip Tetras
5 Spotted/Leopard Danios
2 Gudgeons (spelling?)

Now, the Lemons I'm getting 6 more as soon as the lfs get more in (been hard tracking them down, but they've got an order for them coming in). The Danios in there, I'm thinking I'll get another 3 also, but that's still if-ish. The Silver Tips will be coming out within the next week or two.
I've decided to scrap the loaches, my regular lfs couldn't get them in & the other place was outrageously expensive. I'm still scouting out healthy Congo Tetras, when I find those I'm hoping to have a school of 6 or more for the centre piece.

So far as I'm concerned, I think that'll about do it. I might look at Neon or Cardinal tetras or Rummynose for some bright colours, but I'm think that main species should work out alright. Thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store