Marineland

Model

Magnum HOT canister filter

Link to product description

http://www.marineland.com/sites/mari...l.aspx?id=3465

Price range

$45 - $75

Pros

Small and compact filter capable of flowing 250gph. Gives amazing mechanical, chemical, and even biological filtration if the pro system is used or if you opt to add bio media to the container instead of carbon. Its also the single best water polisher on the market when the micron cartridge is used. Since its small and compact its easy to move it to your other tanks in order to seed them with beneficial bacteria(on new tanks) or to just polish the water. One of the most flexible filters you can buy. Its also extremely easy to clean.

Cons

Since its always above the waterline its impossible to not get air into the container on initial start up. It has an effecient air bypass system though, so it will eject the air within minutes.

Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)

How long have you used the product?

2 and 1/2 years without incident

Build quality and value for your money.

Excellent build quality. I had it sitting on a table waiting to be put on a new tank that i was setting up and my dog grabbed the cord and jerked it off the table. The only thing that happened was the metal bracket to hang it on the tank was slightly bent. I was able to bend it back into shape easily.

As far as value for money is concerned, you can usually find these on sale online between $45-55. For the amount of filtration and options you get with this filter i think its one of the best bang for the buck filters on the market.

Other comments

I honestly feel that this is the single most overlooked filter on the market. Its flexibility with media, ability to polish the water perfectly, amazing filtering capabilites, combined with its size and ease of use makes it my favorite filter by far. I use it as a secondary filter on my 55, but its routinely used to seed new tanks and to polish my show tanks. Its polishing abilities are absolutely amazing. You havent seen clear water until youve seen a tank thats been polished with a micron cartridge in a HOT

55g planted: 5 Boesemani Rainbows, 15 Neons, 3 rescued Harlequin Rasbora, 3 rescued Golden Pristella Tetra, African Featherfin Catfish, 7 Otos, 3 Brigs

20l planted: GBR, Bamboo Shrimp, 4 Peppered Corys, 10 billion MTS

2g: Blue Fire Crowntail Betta

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:41 AM
    I just wanted to update this review to let everyone know that ive now been using this filter for around 5 years and it hasn't let me down yet. I did have to replace the main gasket between the canister body and head, but that was my fault for not noticing it came off and pinching it when I was putting it back together. It still sealed fine but I would rather play it safe and not end up coming home to 55 gallons of water on my floor. Its still one of my favorite filters and its polishing abilities are next to none.
    55g planted: 5 Boesemani Rainbows, 15 Neons, 3 rescued Harlequin Rasbora, 3 rescued Golden Pristella Tetra, African Featherfin Catfish, 7 Otos, 3 Brigs

20l planted: GBR, Bamboo Shrimp, 4 Peppered Corys, 10 billion MTS

2g: Blue Fire Crowntail Betta

Thread Information