bad timing for first ever bristlenose spawn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kristinann

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
I have a male and female albino bristlenose pleco in a twenty gallon with a few neon tetras and a couple peppered cories. I used to be quite diligent about my tank, but lately it's been severely neglected. The water hasn't been tested or changed in ages (please no guilt trips. like i said, I used to be very good about this, so yeah, I know about the nitrogen cycle, I know how bad this is, etc. that's not what this post is about). I'm about to move to college and was planing on breaking it all down soon, within the next month. Well, I justwoke up to find the two of them in the tube of my sponge filter witha small batch of eggs. They are still going at it. The filter is super weak, like 3 bubbles a second, don't even know why I have it in there, I have a HOB filter too, 20gallon rated.

I don't know much about breeding them, never really tried. I know the male takes care of them. I have driftwood. The dorms will allow ten gallon tanks only, nothing more, and I don't know my roomate yet so I don't know if they'd be ok with me having one, nor do I know if I'll have time for it. But I had previoulsy considered getting a ten gallon and taking the plecs with me. Is this still a viable option? I live in Phoenix, moving down to Tucson. Both are very hot places, about a 2-3 hour drive.

So, what do I do? They can barely both fit in the tube, one has to be below the other, I don't even know if the eggs are fertilized. Would it be safe to set up a ten gallon with this water and subtrate and move them and the eggs with the tube? Would they later be able to survive the drive? Or, if I find someone who knows what they're doing, can I safely hand them off to them? Or should I just let nature take it's course (the tetras will probably find them)? Can I do a water change or try to net out the tetras and cories? etc etc

Kristinann

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
well, looks like this might not be so relevant anymore. I saw ma laying a few more while I was typing the above but she was also dislodging the cluster of eggs (there was only about 15). Now it looks like when she left the tube, she pushed the eggs out with her. None left in the tube, sone stting on the sponge outside of the tube. Poor pa is sitting in the tube with no eggs, it's kinda sad to watch. Since there were so few eggs, are the more to come? or maybe not, since this is their first? I hear once they start they don't stop- is that true? Would they continue if I take them with me?

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If you keep up with water changes, I think a pair of BN plecos in a 10 gallon tank could work. You can probably get away with your 20 gallon tank(especially a 20 high), even if the restriction is to 10 gallons or less.

The big thing you want to keep when setting up the new tank is the filter media because it contains the beneficial bacteria. I think if you put it in a fish bag with a little water, it should work for the duration you are talking about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store