Stackiing Tanks to free up floor space

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
I decided to reduce the floor space my tanks were taking up so I built a double-double stand for the small tanks. The stand holds two 29's on the bottom and two 20's on the top. As built the stand could hold two 55's instead. So now the fish room looks like this:

Double stand 1 - 55G on top, 40G long on bottom.
Double stand 2 - 55G on top, 40G long on bottom.
Double stand 3 - 2x20G high on top, 2x29G on bottom.
Stand 4 - 55G
Stand 5 - 55G
Stand 6 - 38G
Stand 7 - 2x10G

I've taken two 55G and a 29G/20G stand (29 on top, 20 on bottom) out of service. My brother just asked me to take his 75G since he's tired of it so it's a good thing I freed up some room.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
just a thought, but maybe you should put th 55 gals on the bottom to reduce the weight. can we get pics of the stand? you should test it out with a tank filled with water but nothing else to see if the stand holds.

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
The stands are designed for two 55G and have had that combo on them before. The reason the 40Gs are on the bottom is ease of getting into the tank, being two inches lower than a 55G.

As to the new stand, yes I'm testing it with a single 29 right now but I don't expect problems. It is built out of 2x4s and held together with 2.5" stainess steel deck screws (had a box leftover from the deck rebuild). I plan to paint it and am debating about decking the shelves with some excess plywood I have sitting around. One of the other stands is decked and the other is open framed.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
oh, ok. that sounds good. you should reinforce it with plywood if youre not using it, just to be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store