Questions re nurturing/feeding Bolivian Ram fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OliviaBolivia

AC Members
Mar 18, 2011
Near London, England
I have a few 3 week old bolivian ram fry – they’ve been free swimming for 8 days now, I removed some of them from the parents in the main community tank. This is the very first spawn!!

Originally, I took about 25 fry out and put them in a 3 gallon fry tank, with the finest layer of light sand, a sponge filter, and a piece of driftwood with lots of java moss tied to it. I’ve been doing at least one 30-40% water change (with de-chlorinated water) per day, using a dropper to collect any debris, and feeding twice per day – I started with Liquifry, and more recently BBS (jeez what a chore THAT is). If I’m able, I increase the frequency of feeding and water changes, but mostly I’m limited to messing around with the tanks twice per day max.

Even so, my 25 fry have diminished to 12. Is this fairly normal, i.e to be expected? Am I doing everything I should? Should I give more variety of food….earlier I tried a powder of crushed algae wafer and cichlid pellet, but they don’t seem to touch it!

Also, I have a query about BBS – when feeding newly hatched BBS, therealways seems to be a little bit of salt water that goes into the fry tank with them……will this do any harm? And, obviously a 10ml dropper injects thousands of BBS into the tank……how long do they live in freshwater if not eaten, and will the uneaten ones cause ammonia to rise?

And, can I keep the hatched BBS going for another 12 hrs or so to feed at the next feeding time? What would I need, just a reasonable sized vessel of salt water?

Thanks for the advice and tips……this is a first attempt, so I’m looking to improve the longevity of the next batch. The fry I left in with the parents are all gone, so they’re preparing for round 2!

Last edited:

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but you might want to try feeding them microworms for at least part of their diet. My Bolivian fry seem to love it and it's a very easy live food to prepare and maintain.

OliviaBolivia

AC Members
Mar 18, 2011
Near London, England
Thanks....I opted for BBS as everything I read indicated that a microworm culture can develop mould!

I do have a 4 litre container of what is supposed to be vinegar eels, but a) they don't appear to offer much nutritional value, and b) how on earth do you "harvest" a creature which is all but invisible to the naked eye??!!

And talking of harvesting....I'm confused about the BBS. When I empty the container of hatched shrimp water - less the egg shells floating at the top - I get a sieve full of lifeless orange gloop, and some drained water with moving, visible brine shrimp in it.

All the vids on You Tube suggest that it's the orange gloop which you feed to the fish....not the clean ones in the drained water.

Is that right? Sorry to be stupid....

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Congrats!

I don't know answers to your questions, but I think you feed the live shrimp, not the glop. I am going to have to start BBS soon, for my breeding pairs of fish.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I dont have any experience with rams but i'll try to answer some of your questions.
I always start fish fry on BBS and stick with it til they look like they are able to eat bigger foods. Even if they look huge compare to the BBS, if they still eat it, it's still good for them. None of my fry touch powder food or any other non-live food. I don't know if the salt water harms the rams but do you rinse it when you remove the BBS from the hatching container? I use a dropper to suck up some BBS then put it into a fine mesh net and rinse it so i get all the salt water out. after, submerge the net in de-chlorinated water (water you would put in your tank) and suck up the BBS with a clean dropper (or whatever you use to get the BBS). This keeps the old, salty water from getting into the fry tank. BBS usually lasts me 2 or 3 days, depending on how much i make/hatch. do you keep snails in the tank? snails should eat the dead BBS if the fry don't get to them. I believe the moving BBS is what you should be feeding the fry, not the dead/glob kind.
Hopefully this answers most of your questions! :)

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
it sounds like this is your first chance at taking care of fry as well.

1. don't worry, some die-off is expected. that's nature...the weaker ones will die off because they get outcompeted by their stronger siblings. that will give you better stock when they are better developed. still though, make sure that your spawning is not being sabotaged by a filter intake; if you have any type of anything with an impeller on the fry tank, cover it with a sponge or media bag. that will give the fry something to pick at, and will keep them from being drawn into the impeller and filter media.

2. don't worry about the salt water that gets into the tank. with the water changes you are doing and the extremely small amount of salt water getting in the tank, it should not be a big deal. you should be able to move the fry over to crushed flake food soon, which will really help in terms of the convenience department.

3. don't freak out if everything does not go as planned. your bolivians will likely spawn again and again. that will give you (and them) more experience in taking care off fry, and eventually more fry will survive.

OliviaBolivia

AC Members
Mar 18, 2011
Near London, England
Thanks all, for those replies!! Yep its my rams first spawn, and my first attempt to raise fry.....I confess I thought it was a miracle I'd got this far. :)

I'm now down to about 8 remaining fry, but after having a good tidy up in the main community tank and thinning out the plants, it looks like the parents are preparing to spawn again anyway. So although it will be a shame if I don't end up with any survivors from the first spawn, its not the end of the world. My fry tank only has a sponge filter running on an air pump, so no impellers!

I think I've worked out where I'm going wrong with the BBS - I'm not letting the hatcher run long enough, so much of my orange gloop is actually unhatched eggs. I have them in the JBL standalone Artemio system, so the water is not heated, but I do have an LED lamp trained on the hatcher. Initially I had a good hatch rate after only 24 hrs, but I left the last batch for 36 hrs and still didn't get much from it. I drained them through my fine mesh net, dunked it in spare tank water, droppered some up and studied the dropper.......about 65% of it was eggs! I'm going to have to be better organised and let it run for longer, but I'm not sure what to offer the fry for food while we're waiting.

I don't have a snail in the fry tank, but I have some nerites elsewhere.....perhaps I could add one to help keep the sand clean. Will they eat any unhatched eggs that get in as well?

I think I'm just going to have to get some practice! I've ordered an additional hatchery to run alongside the first, so I have a better supply. Today I put some of the hatched BBS back into the salt water and popped them in the fridge, I guess they'll be okay for up to 24 hrs?

Thanks so much again, I'm such a noob at this but I take it all quite seriously, so I appreciate the time you take to reply to my daft questions. :)

Jedigenie

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Hi Olivia,

glad you are having success with breeding. I remember you were having a few difficulties early on.

High fry mortality is quite normal and nothing I would stress about. Interrestingly I also seperated free swimming fry from the parents initially but now I find better growth by keeping fry with the parents. Also its nice seeing the parents learn better parenting skills with each successive spawning.

As far as feeding goes, I use BBS and finely crushed tetra bits (I use a pestle and mortar). Ive been using Tetramin Baby food lately too with very good results.

Best of luck
Eugene

OliviaBolivia

AC Members
Mar 18, 2011
Near London, England
Hi Eugene,

Well, I did leave more than 50% of the fry in with the parents to help them develop their parenting skills......and there are now zero fry in the tank!!

I'm having trouble sourcing any other "baby" food from the LFS other than liquifry at the moment, will have a look online. Have a nasty feeling that cichlid fry are known for not eating anything that doesn't move......I certainly can't see much eating activity unless I put BBS in with them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store