will water hyacinth survive winter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
I'm getting mixed answers on this one, anybody tried to leave this in the pond over the winter? I'm in Ohio.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I'm in northern Ohio (Zone 5b) and I know a lot of people that keep it and it comes back without any problems. I don't know if there are different kinds but they seem fine here. I would check with a local garden center as they will most likely know your climate and know what works and what doesn't.

With any plant a heavy layer of mulch in fall will help protect the roots (and in this case bulb) from freezing temps so that might be something to look into.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Generally it's illegal to sell in any state where it doesn't die off.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Thanks, does anybody know a good way to keep it inside without lights? Maybe by keeping a bulb or whatever? (I have no clue when it comes to this stuff)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You could put a few in a 5 gal bucket with a dome reflector and a power twist fluorescent. Just keep changing the water with old tank water.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
I live in s. florida and WH goes dormant at around 40, 32 is fatal . Your best bet would be to follow subrosas suggestion. they are very light demanding though you MIGHT be able to keep them dormant. I have never been able to keep them in artificial light though in a pond they are incredible weeds. They are probably the worlds best water filter so worth a bit of struggle?? lol gary

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey - I live in KY and have had it survive (once) but usually it dies off with the hard frost and really cold winter. The one year it lived was a milder winter and I think the ones that made it were covered by leaf litter that I left in the pond (they were near the edge and covered by leaves). I couldn't believe when I started seeing new growth in the spring. Typically it will die off - I would say your best bet is to try and over winter it inside.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
since Razzlefish seems to have a strain that has adapted to you kind of winter (+/-) i suggest getting some plants from Razzle's sources and trying that. i don't know that there are different species of water hyacinth, but even one species can have divergent races adapted to their local climates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store