Paludarium Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
I am going to try a Paludarium. I will have a "spare" 29g setup in a few weeks. I have been looking for information but thought I'd also solicit ideas here.

The basic theme will be "tropical rain forest".

tank: 29g high
filter: fluval 105 canister

I want to redirect some of the filter return as a waterfall. I also plan on silicone caulking 3 glass brackets to the front back and 1 side to use as support for an acrylic shelf. The shelf will contain the main part of the "land". Underneath the shelf will be water. The hoses and such hopefully can be hidden behind the flora/fawna. Not sure if this is ok.

I plan to stock it with a couple of frogs - maybe poison arrow/dart ones. Also will have some fish but not sure what. I'll let it run for a month or two before introducing any wildlife.

This is my first attempt at this so I am not sure what all I need to know. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I'm going to be attempting the same thing only in a 20 gallon, shelf and all. I'm using PVC columns to hold up my shelf though. For a background on the upper part, check out this stuff http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/pond-and-stone/?gclid=CMDsyeX9-akCFRNhgwodmTb-Zg

That's what I'm going to use, but I'll be embedding river rocks, slate, cork bark, and drift wood into it to create places for plants and a waterfall.

Also there is a terrarium, paludarium, and vivarium forum here on AC below the marine section.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
Thanks - that stuff looks like ordinary foam sealant like you get at home depot. Which is actually a really good idea for building backgrounds. it is waterproof, holds its shape and is easy to sculpt. Also I like your idea better with the supports instead of my silicone caulk adea. It is easier to remove later on or change.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I tried it out lastnight and discovered that the foam is too soft to embed rocks in it and retain any poofiness. It deflates as soon as you touch it with anything, so I built up the background with the foam, let it dry, then carved it down in the places it expanded too much and now I'm going to use GE Silicone 1 caulk to glue rocks on where I want them and to kind of grout between them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store