29 Gallon Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so far i have
6-columbian tetras
3-julii corys (ill be adding 3 more soon)
and
1-female cockato apisto
id like to add something like
4-male platies OR a dwarf gourami(i really need something primarily at the top)
and
1-bristlenose pleco
this will be a heavily planted low-medium light tank (low light right now) and my starting plants will be
dwarf sagitaria
aponogeton
anachris
wendetti green
wendetti red
anubius
and
water wisteria

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
WELCOME TO AC!!!!!

great plant list and fish list so far(I would add some type of rotala personally)

I would total the corys at 4 max, and then get a few ottos(JMO, though)

For the pleco, I would do an ABN(albino bristlenose pleco 4"-5") because they don't grow as big as regular BN plecos(6") I would get a pair for the apistos or get a pair of rams. Remember, these aren't good beginner fish if you are a beginner as IME, dwarf cichlids are kind of more sensitive.:) And require more WCs(water changes)

Also, could you tell us what substrate you are using, and what filtration you have, as that can kill or save your stocking;)

And, finally, I personally would get 12 green neon tetras instead of columbians as they are smaller, more colorful, and a bigger school always looks better.

Good Luck:)

We need pics!!!!!!!!!!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i already have the columbians and cant send them back. id really rather not do ottos bc of their sensitivity, and i dont really have much algae in my tank. i actually had a male cockatoo apisto but it misteriously died(i checked alot of forums and no one knew why) and i do a 50 % water change each week (dont even need to do that big of a water change a week but i do anyway) i currently have a tetra 30-60 filter but plan on adding a aquaclear 40 too. and i have sand as a substrate.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
The plant list is too busy for me (they're nice plants, though). I prefer to stick with 3-4 plants at most (one floating, one or two in gravel, and I often had java fern growing on driftwood). I think too many species starts to look artificial. Now that I've said that, I've seen beautiful tanks with lots of different plant species.

As for fish, I'd stick with the julii cories, columbian tetras, and I'd go with 4 otos over a bristlenose pleco. A 29 isn't huge, and one grown bistlenose takes up a lot of bioload. Plus, otos are flat out fun. However, I'd wait a few months to add them as they do much better in an established tank.

As for a centerpiece fish, apisot would work, but bolivian rams are hardier, slightly larger, and less belligerent (not all apistos are peaceful...although many are). You could have two bolivians in there with no problems, and they're one of the best small wet pets I've ever had.

Dwarf gouramis are great, though, provided you can find healthy stock. I've not found healthy stock in the USA in 10 years...they all die within 6 months of DG disease (a bloat like illness).

Just my $.02 worth. YMMV.

Eric

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Never seen a noticeable size difference between an albino and regular BN. There are a few different Ancistrus species in the trade which all will likely be labeled as bristle/bushynose plecos so the difference may lie there...

I don't see anything wrong with your proposed stocking so long as you are doing regular maintenance.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
The plant list is too busy for me (they're nice plants, though). I prefer to stick with 3-4 plants at most (one floating, one or two in gravel, and I often had java fern growing on driftwood). I think too many species starts to look artificial. Now that I've said that, I've seen beautiful tanks with lots of different plant species.

As for fish, I'd stick with the julii cories, columbian tetras, and I'd go with 4 otos over a bristlenose pleco. A 29 isn't huge, and one grown bistlenose takes up a lot of bioload. Plus, otos are flat out fun. However, I'd wait a few months to add them as they do much better in an established tank.

As for a centerpiece fish, apisot would work, but bolivian rams are hardier, slightly larger, and less belligerent (not all apistos are peaceful...although many are). You could have two bolivians in there with no problems, and they're one of the best small wet pets I've ever had.

Dwarf gouramis are great, though, provided you can find healthy stock. I've not found healthy stock in the USA in 10 years...they all die within 6 months of DG disease (a bloat like illness).

Just my $.02 worth. YMMV.

Eric
i have the apisto already if you didnt see the whole what i have and what i want thing.........

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Never seen a noticeable size difference between an albino and regular BN. There are a few different Ancistrus species in the trade which all will likely be labeled as bristle/bushynose plecos so the difference may lie there...

I don't see anything wrong with your proposed stocking so long as you are doing regular maintenance.
so would
6-columbian tetras
6-julii corys
1-female cockatoo apisto
1-dwarf gourami OR 4- male platies
3-ottos (i dont even know how easy it would be to find a bristlenose anyway)
would be ok with a tetra 30-60 filter, an aquaclear 40, and 50% water changes every week?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap

I have, IME. My beautiful male ABN is only 4.5" and he is 1.5 years old, and adult BNs in my LFS are 6"s.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
so would
6-columbian tetras
6-julii corys
1-female cockatoo apisto
1-dwarf gourami OR 4- male platies
3-ottos (i dont even know how easy it would be to find a bristlenose anyway)
would be ok with a tetra 30-60 filter, an aquaclear 40, and 50% water changes every week?
I would add a male apisto, and then it would be perfect. I personally would go for the ABN, as they have great personalities, and mine eat out of my hand, but JMO.
And do the dwarf gourami, bc platys are too newbieish and for starting tanks, not for planted tanks, planted tanks need really colorful fish which stand out a lot;)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
platies can be colorful if you can find the uncommon ones. one thing wrong with getting a male and getting a bristlenose pleco. the apistos i bought from forsyth aquatics who no longer has any in stock and only sales pairs. now that i think about it i can probably get my lfs to order a bristlenose for me, but i think that would be a little too much bio load for my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store