What are some good tyoes of cories?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I need help picking a type of cory. I looking into getting probabley only 3 for my tank. What are some good looking kinds of cories? If you have any pics of some of yours or others please show me. Thanx.

jafo

AC Members
Oct 6, 2002
Johnson City, TN
fishgeeks.com
Since you didn't say the tank size and only want 3 I'll assume they are for a small tank. I'd stick with one of the smaller species (2" or less). My favorites would be Pandas or Pygmys. The Pygmies (3 species of them) only reach 1" but nromally stay a little shallower than most. Pandas reach about 2".

Corydoras Pygmaeus

Corydoras Panda

For a a 20g or larger, I also like the looks of Adolfois' Cory (Corydoras adolfoi)

and/or Peppered Cory (Corydoras paleatus)

I've kept a few others but these are my favorites.

Last edited:

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Thanx alot for the reply and the pics. I really like that panda cory. Oh yeaH Sorry, the tank size is a 15 gallon which I actually believe may be a 20 gallon. Other fish I plan on putting in there are 3 kribs and around 6 or so cherry barbs. Thanx again!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Oh yeah I forgot. Today while at Petsmart I saw a cool looking cory. It was a green color with like a grayish colored head. Would that be like a green cory or soemthing. Ill try to look around at some sites a different corys. Thanks again.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Thanx. I got osme fish early this morning. All of the kribs they had were albino so hard ot sex them. I believe I either have 2 males or 2 females. Im leaning towards females though because of their rounded tails and there is not much point to the dorsal fins. I might try to trade one of them in at another place and get a regular krib. That place I went to this morning didnt have any cories except for a few cause they had sold out of most all of them.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
I think the greenish cory you were talking about is my favorite kind--aeneus, I think it is. I love 'em! I've got five of them, and they play all day. Cories are cool.

I second the comment about sexing a pair of kribs and not putting a third one in there. The odd man (or female) out will be pretty miserable. And don't forget to give them a cave or a sunken jug or something, so they can make babies.

-- Pat

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Still not sure on what I have yet. They act pretty good around each other better now but you can still tell which one is dominant.
Oh yeah I ended up getting 3 panda cories. Atleast I htink they are pandas. The place I got them from had all their cories all spread out in so many different tanks, I couldnt figure out what was what.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store