New to SW and need some suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
hey, im new to SW and need some suggestions. ive been keeping fish for about 3 years now. i really want a reef tank but i dont know much about SW, so that would be chaos if i got one now. i need some stocking suggestions as well as some important tips for newbies at SW. i wont be getting this tank for at least 6 months, but i might as well build up knowledge now so im more prepared.

so, i was thinking of a 20 gal with a possible reef, but definitely live rock. a few ideas that i have are-firefish, bicolor blenny,and feather dustr worm. i need a few suggestions as what to and not to get, as well as some tips.

thx,

spencer

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
also, are there any easy corals for a beginner?

thx alot,

spencer

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Your stock list (so far) seems fine for a 20L. Note that a bicolor can be a coral nipper. May want to swap that out for soemthing like a tailspot. In addition to the tank and LR you will want a RO/DI water source, good powerhead(s) to create a widespread and random flow throughout and lighting. From there it all depends on how hard you want to work and how much you are willing to spend on things like protein skimmers, media reactors, etc.

Is the 20 gallon a definite or any possibility of going larger? Do you anticipate using a sump on your system?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Your stock list (so far) seems fine for a 20L. Note that a bicolor can be a coral nipper. May want to swap that out for soemthing like a tailspot. In addition to the tank and LR you will want a RO/DI water source, good powerhead(s) to create a widespread and random flow throughout and lighting. From there it all depends on how hard you want to work and how much you are willing to spend on things like protein skimmers, media reactors, etc.

Is the 20 gallon a definite or any possibility of going larger? Do you anticipate using a sump on your system?
im trying to save space, but i could go up to 29 gallons. im not sure about a sump. will a sump make a noticable difference in my tank? usually i only see sumps on larger tanks.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
A sump is always a good idea for a salt water tank. It gives you more filtration options and (along with the cabinet) somewhere to hide a lot of unsightly equipment like protein skimmers and heaters (and eventually dosing pumps, wave control units... the list goes on). Most importantly however, it gives more water volume to the system, which means greater stability and dilution of wastes. This is the key when going in to reef-keeping.

A 29G with a 20G long sump would be great and not overly expensive. Ideally you'd want the 29 drilled but if it's not you can make your own overflow.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^+1.

A sump is not a requirement for any size tank really but it will result in a healthier system and keep all the clutter out of your display. If you can add a sump, I would.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
well, the biggest sump i could get would be a 10 gal or so. could i do that and then add an additional filter?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sure but if you end up using an in-sump skimmer you will want at least one baffle to keep the water level constant in the skimmer section. A baffle is just a piece of cut acrylic or glass siliconed in place to create a divider. You can also use rubbermaid or sterlite boxes but baffles are harder to install. You will probably only be able to add 8 gallons max to your volume but that coupled with a good skimmer will help quite a bit. You can do a HOB skimmer or just go with a light to moderate stocked tank with really good flow and maybe add a HOB refugium. Could also through a HOB or canister on for extra water circulation and/or media. If you go without a skimmer you just need to stock a little more lightly and stay on water changes. Also, if you use a "filter" keep it, and any media you run in it, very clean.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
ok...

im confused by your technical talk, but i can figure it out. but the only thing is, how would i drill it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store