Question about Bristlenose Pleco Breeding Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

j0onahra3

AC Members
Nov 19, 2010
Columbia, MO
I have two longfin albino bristlenoses and I got one that was definitely a male (due to it's bristles) and one that looked like a female. I was told that they are still a bit too young to tell. The "female" doesn't have any bristles, but then again, she is smaller than the male.

Anyway, at first, the male went inside my fake log tunnel thing. Then my female went inside and they stayed there together for maybe a day or two. Now, the female is just in the log by herself and the male doesn't bother to come near the log. She's constantly hanging upside down in the log btw.

Is this normal? I'm afraid that maybe the female is actually a male who kicked the other male out of its territory.... or HOPEFULLY the female is laying eggs? How long does it take for the female to lay eggs?

Any information will help! : ) Thanks!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sounds like you may have 2 males. When breeding time nears, the male spends a couple of days cleaning inside the cave. When the female is ready to spawn, he will let her in the cave only long enough for her to deposit the eggs. Then he sends her out and will not let her in the cave again at all. Some young males will select their cave and go in and out regularly and even sleep in there for a while. But this is not breeding behavior. I never see my females go into a cave except to spawn. Give them more time and see what happens.

j0onahra3

AC Members
Nov 19, 2010
Columbia, MO
Hmmm. Today, I see the male (with the bristlenose) inside the log. The "female" pleco is hiding behind my overflow box. So I'm still unsure. I'm just hoping that they're a pair!! Thanks for the advice and information! I will look at them more carefully and I'll try to post some pictures.. if I could capture a picture of the male inside the log.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store