My first saltwater tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
I'm new to the forum and saltwater, so I'm not sure this thread will be all too popular, but anybody that can help me will be greatly appreciated! Here's my plan:
10 gallon tank, I'm using an HOB aquaclear 30 filter.
I'm using a heater, a 50 watt.
I'm using a 425 powerhead
I was thinking 12 pounds of rock, probably 4 live, 8 base
Now for my first (of many) questions lol:
Am I missing anything? (other then a skimmer)

For stock, I was thinking something along these lines:
1 yellow watchman goby
1 oscerellis (sp?) clown
3 sexy shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp

Now for my stock questions:
Can I have a hermit crab?
Is there a difference between the hermit crabs you see in an on land habitat, or are the fully aquatic ones the same thing?

I'm excited that saltwater is turning out easier then I thought it'd be, but I'm still researching and am looking for any advice I can get!
Thanks,
Lauren

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i would only do a clownfish in a 10 gallon. also the hermits arent the same. they even look different. i think you could have 1 or 2. your gonna need salt and a hydrometer or refractometer. the rock sounds good. you might want to add another powerhead but it's not neccassary. i dont have a saltwater tank yet but before i got my red claw crabs crabs i was going to set one up.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Now for my stock questions:
Can I have a hermit crab?
Is there a difference between the hermit crabs you see in an on land habitat, or are the fully aquatic ones the same thing?
Tricky questions. The short answer is, yes there is a difference and most of the ones you'll see sold as 'fully aquatic' are fully aquatic. There are some larger ones that are commonly sold that are 99% aquatic (although they never need to get onto land) but you really don't want one of those with a tank that size anyways. As for whether you want one of the smaller ones...it depends. All crabs are at best "mostly safe". The blue-leg hermits seem about the safest, but even they have their drawbacks. All hermits need shells, which snails greedily hold onto with their lives.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
i would only do a clownfish in a 10 gallon. also the hermits arent the same. they even look different. i think you could have 1 or 2. your gonna need salt and a hydrometer or refractometer. the rock sounds good. you might want to add another powerhead but it's not neccassary. i dont have a saltwater tank yet but before i got my red claw crabs crabs i was going to set one up.
oh yeah! I forgot about the refractometer lol. I'm definitely getting one of them. As for the hermits, I guess I don't really want them, I was just curious as to what the difference was and If I could have one. For the stock stuff, I'd rather have the goby then the clown.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Seahorses are probably the only reason I would do a salt tank. They are so amazing. But I understand them to be not very hardy and difficult to feed.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
i'll do some research, but do you think i could switch out the clown for a seahorse or two?! that'd be so amazing, but i don't think i'd do it unless i could have the goby... that's the one fish that has to be there. the others are totally negotiable :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store