LED LIGHTS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Does anyone here use LED lights on your freshwater aquarium. Thinking of putting some on my 125 MBU puffer tank. Any Ideas.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I got led lights for one my african cichlid tanks. I really like the effect. However I don't know about growing much more than Java Fern or moss with them. Although there are double strength and reef strength versions.

kineticcomfort

greenthumb
May 1, 2011
Northeast PA
www.kineticcomfortupholstery.com
Real Name
Mikey
if you go with the cree leds you should be able to grow anything, I have seen some really nice foreground carpets grown under LED, but you have to have the cree ones that need a heat sink, not the no heat ones if you plan on growing anything serious, there is a reef guy around here that will make the equivalent of 250watt MH for a 48" tank, for about $250.. nice setups 60 degree optics,,, good luck you will def save some money on the light bill and with out it needing a ton of light you can probably get away with a dozen cree leds over the stretch of the tank..., get an aluminum heat sink offline and DIY if you a handy dude...

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I light my 70g planted tank with 24 $1.99 LED emitters and two drivers. Total cost was right around $100.00 for my DIY setup. I'm happy with it.

The best part?
Not purchasing four 55 watt Power Compact lamps at $22.00 each.
Add in the energy savings and the light recoups the cost in nine months.

Compared to what I would have been spending on on new lamps and more energy, my lighting costs are negative numbers.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I am thinking about doing my own diy led set up for my 5g tank because the normal bulbs keep burning out in it for some reason. And for $12 for 2 it isnt worth it since I can do diy led stuff for under $10. (not for growing any plants or anything). And I have the leds and stuff, so it should really cost nothing.

APL111

AC Members
Jan 28, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Tony Ludanyi
Anyone here using this over larger planted tanks. My tank is a 125 planted using power compacts right now. I have looked at various vendors etc for DIY I am now looking for people who have actually done it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store