catfish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mudskipper10

Sharkie
Jan 24, 2011
I am thinking about a 20-40 gallon tank filled with small 1-4 inch cats. i am thinking about bristlenoses, small otos, and the 2-4 inch banjo cats. can someone please suggest other affordable species or give pointers to my ideas? thanks.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Bump that up to a 55, and get some pictus cats. Then choose a couple small plecos ( BN's, bulldogs, clowns, ect.) I'd stay away from Otos, they're way too shy IMO.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I agree with user_name. I tried a catfish tank once and found that it was very difficult to stock as most of them grow a bit too large for a 20-40 gallon. A 55g would open up many more options for you. Pictus cats are very fun, they are active and would look great if you kept them in a small group. You could also do syndontis petricola or synodontis nigriventris (upside down catfish). The upside downs would also work if you do opt to go with a smaller tank, 30-40 gallons. Theres also glass catfish which will stay in mid to upper levels. The upside-downs will too if they are kept in a large enough group.

mudskipper10

Sharkie
Jan 24, 2011
I really can't go bigger than a little over 40 gallons. I will still probably go with the otos, cause i want them to breed and have had good experience with them.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
banjo cats only get about 6" max, if I remember correctly, but, they might make a midnight snack out of your ottos.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
skip the otos, and try this for a 40-

10 cories
3 banjo cats
3 bulldog plecos

get the shortest tank you can find, as this will increase footprint, wich is good for bottom feeders, obviously. you dont need much vertical space, because all your fish will stay primarily at the bottom.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Pygmy cories and some smaller plecos(BN, clown or bulldog) could work well in a 40 or 30 gallon breeder tank. The plus with pygmy cories is they are a little more mid water than most catfish.

mudskipper10

Sharkie
Jan 24, 2011
thanks. I think I'll go with spenerguy's idea. I went on planet catfish and found some mini banjo cats that stay around 3 inches.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
ya, you want to go lightly stocked with catfish because IME they poop alot. especially plecos.

mudskipper10

Sharkie
Jan 24, 2011
are you sure there's enough room for the banjo's?, + does anyone know where i can get one? could i replace the bulldog with bristlenoses? will any of them breed?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store