hippo or blue tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i have a hippo tang that i got about a week ago. i have read that they like to hide under rocks and stuff when you first get them. i was wondering if anyone could tell me how long that it will do this. i never get to see it and so far have never seen it eat. is there anything i need to be doing to fix the situation??

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central! My Blue Tangs have never hidden except for one that I got from a tank shut down. We need more infro from you like what size tank, how many tankmates and what kinds, what is water quality, what have you tried feeding, how long has the tank been established, water quality, etc. Anyway, hope this helps.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
my yellow tang that i got last week still hides alot. i think he knows when feeding time is though, cause he seems to be a little more brave around that time.

:)

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i have a 55 gallon tank, i first started it about 6 months ago. the only fish in it right now is the blue tang,2 percula clowns, 12 blue leg hermits, 10 turbo snails and 2 yellow tailed damsels that i bought near the end of cycling the tank. a freind told me the damsels were the best way to start because they were good strong fish. i have around 35 pounds of base rock and around 20 pounds of live rock in it. i have found that when i turn all the lights out, and wait to check on it for a couple of hours, the tang will be out but no more than an inch or so from his hole. i originally bought the blue and a yellow tang. the store i bought it from said it would be ok if i put them in together at the same time. but the yellow tang diedovernight. al water test said ok. i even took a sample back to the store to get tested and they said it was ok, but the stress level was a bit high. they told me it wasnt anything to worry about though. i put some seaweed salad in the tank for it but clowns seem to like it so i cant tell for sure if the tang is eating. i have read that they stuff theirselves under rocks when stressed but nothing seems out of place in the tank. i mean water seems good, fish getting along good.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
he is only about 3 inches long.
i had done plenty of reading and already knew about the ich problem, as well as fin erosioa??? i think thats how you spell it.
the tang still looks good. nice color and still thick. he just wont come out from under,,, and i mean way under his rock. if for some reason i was to take out the rock for a day or 2, wouls this help him get used to the tank or would it just stress him out? any comments are welcomed. and i have found out that my lf knows absolutely nothing when it comes to salt water fish. i based alot of my setup off what they said. but after reading the threads here i might have to redo my whole tank.

Last edited:

fishman2000

AC Members
Feb 14, 2004
new york
Visit site
i would leave him alone all the blue hippos i have seen in the lfs have been hiding and they had to move rocks so i could see them i never had 1 cuz i dont wanna deal with the ich problems there slime coat isnt as thick as say a yellow tang so they stress real easy and get ich plus where im from they want 50 bucks for a small 1.5" i was told though if you dip them in fresh water when they get ich it cures them good luck

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
thanks for the info. i guess ill jus twait and see if it gets any better. i have only ever seen 2 for sale at my lf, the one i got which was about 3 inches and they just got another. its about 1.5 and they were the same price. $46.

fishman2000

AC Members
Feb 14, 2004
new york
Visit site
yeah i can get 1.5" for $19 at the lfs i go to but he wont even bother with them unless there 3" witch he will get me for $ 30 but its hard to get them that big here the $50 one was at a different store i just go there to luagh about there prices:D

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
we have a place here that says they have the largest coral display in america. but as far as i can tell they have the largest prices in the world. i can easily buy2 individual fish from seperate online places and still get them cheaper than one at that particular place. well maybe not. but from the lf i have been going to a percula clown is only 15 bucks. but at the other they sell them for 50 bucks a pair. i even asked if they were mated pairs and they said no. they are just 2 fish nothing special. but on the positive side my blue tang is coming out just a bit. hiding in other spots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store