29 gallon stocking ideas - help me brainstorm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Been awhile since I posted...

Anyway, setting up a new 29 gallon in the kids room. I'm looking for some brainstorming on what I can stock with. So far we have -

3 java (black or unbanded kuhli) loaches
1 female bristlenose pleco
5+ neon tetras
7 platies

I'm looking for something utterly peaceful, that will not pick at the smaller fish but will get a bit bigger in size as a center piece. Angels and gouramies are out. We had a blue gourami and it was horrid to the smaller fish and I finally was forced to toss it in my turtle tank because I could not get rid of it, no one wanted it. It is happy in there, and my Stinkpot leaves it alone, but I am not playing that game again.

FYI- I tend to stock towards the heavy side, but my tanks are immaculately clean and water changes are done on a very regular basis, most often at least twice weekly. As far as the platies - yes I know they reproduce, and no, it will not be a problem.

So... ideas? Just trying to get suggestions that I may not have already thought of.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I don't really want a pair of anything. I have Bolivians, Bolivian Rams, and Apistos already in other tanks. But pairs in a community in my opinion just lead to stress on both the pair and the other inhabitants.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I would this...........

but u will have to get rid of the platys, as unless they r all male, they will breed like rabbits;)
and I am pretty sure the kuhlis will outgrow that tank really quickly

1 dwarf gourami(very peaceful, and stays small) OR a betta
ur pleco
16 neon tetras OR harlequin rasboras
4 corydoras
and that is pretty much it

a centerpiece fish
a pleco
bottom feeders
large school of fish

a few questions

u do have DW right, as plecos need DW to rasp/chew on

what type of tank? planted? fake plants? etc.?
tank specs? substrate? filter? lighting? Co2 or not?

good luck:)

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I already addressed the issue of the platies breeding ;) As I said before, it is not a problem. I have over 25 freshwater set ups, (plus brackish and marine) and I have plenty of places to put the fry and plenty of other fish to feed them too.

Yes, I have driftwood. The pleco is actually one that I grew out from fry that I bred/raised.

The "Kuhlis" are not Kuhlies, they are Java loaches, sometimes mis-labeled as black or unbanded kuhlis. They are actually Pangio oblonga, not Pangio kuhlii and do not get as large.

Again, I absolutely do not want gouramies.

29 gallon AGA, sand substrate, multiple anubias, tiger and jungle vals, various crypts, swords, java moss, etc. Lighting is CFLs. Filtration is AC70.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I already addressed the issue of the platies breeding ;) As I said before, it is not a problem. I have over 25 freshwater set ups, (plus brackish and marine) and I have plenty of places to put the fry and plenty of other fish to feed them too.

Yes, I have driftwood. The pleco is actually one that I grew out from fry that I bred/raised.

The "Kuhlis" are not Kuhlies, they are Java loaches, sometimes mis-labeled as black or unbanded kuhlis. They are actually Pangio oblonga, not Pangio kuhlii and do not get as large.

Again, I absolutely do not want gouramies.

29 gallon AGA, sand substrate, multiple anubias, tiger and jungle vals, various crypts, swords, java moss, etc. Lighting is CFLs. Filtration is AC70.

sorry, misread the khuli/java loaches part and missed the platy part too;)

okay, if no gouramis for sure, then I would do a butterfly fish, the only problem there is that none of the tankmates can be smaller than an inch.
http://www.fishlore.com/profile-africanbutterfly.htm

then I would do this

4 java loaches
4 corydoras
1 BN pleco
1 African Butterflyfish
12-14 harlequin rasboras or neon tetras

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
AGA = All Glass Aquarium

Betta is a possibility. Would like some other ideas as well, been there/done the betta thing ;)

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
sorry, misread the khuli/java loaches part and missed the platy part too;)

okay, if no gouramis for sure, then I would do a butterfly fish, the only problem there is that none of the tankmates can be smaller than an inch.
http://www.fishlore.com/profile-africanbutterfly.htm

then I would do this

4 java loaches
4 corydoras
1 BN pleco
1 African Butterflyfish
12-14 harlequin rasboras or neon tetras

It is a good plan, but my 7 and 10 year old daughters hand-picked the platies. They are part of the tank no matter what ;) There is no getting rid of them. I don't want anything even MILDLY agressive (I do however completely love the butterflies. Have kept them in the past, but they are impossible to find here.)

I also already have half the tetras, and I don't care for rasboras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store