New Angel Pairs, New Issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
After I set up another few tanks we picked up some more angels. From these we ended up with 3 new pairs to go with the existing pair we already had, plus some singles. As usual, the angels didn't agree with us as to mates and fought so we moved them around between the various tanks. So we now have a marble-gold pair, a marble-koi pair, paired marbles and paired golds. The blushing and dusky angels are still too small to pair off.

Two of the new pairings have already spawned but ate their eggs within a day. I'm used to that with young pairs. The gold pair has done so twice in two weeks.

My oldest pair, the marble(m)-gold(f) couple, spawned yesterday. This is their fourth spawn together and her fifth one. The male marble didn't fertilize the eggs this time, he just gobbled down the eggs as fast as the female laid them. She joined in with the loose eggs that didn't stick and were swirling around. I'm not totally bothered since we had the pair in one of our community tanks at the time and there is no way a spawn would have survived. But the fact that the male didn't release his milt does bother me.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are all the pairs in their own tanks?

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
The gold pair are in a 29g by themselves. The marble-koi pair are smaller and in a 20H with 5 neons and two pepper cory cats. The marble pair are in a 55g with 7 red wag sword juvies, 3 otos, a red-tailed black shark and a julii cory. The marble-gold pair are in a 55g with 2 yoyo loaches, a BN pleco, a red-tailed black shark, two pepper cory cats and 4 serphae tetras. The juvie angels (2 blushing, 2 smokey, 1 marble) are in a 55g with 5 bleeding heart tetras and 5 serphae tetras. The silver angel is in a 55g with 2 yoyo loaches, 1 red-tailed black shark, 1 pair of black swordtails, 1 female red wag sword, 2 opaline gouramis, 2 bronze cory cats, 1 oto and a julii cory. I hadn't planned on raising any angel spawns so that is why they are in community tanks. My daughter likes the livebearer species and so my other tanks are full of swords and guppies right now. However, my wife recently decided she wants to raise a spawn or two from egglayers so that is why the golds are alone. I haven't raised any egglayers since 1994 and angels since 1993. For most of that time (1995-2010) I didn't have any tanks up and running, as I was in the Air Force and moved every few years.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If its the pairs' first few spawns or if they have been recently moved, it could be the cause of the lack of viable fry.....hard to tell.

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
Update, sometime last night the marble-koi pair completely covered one leave on an amazon sword with eggs. A few white ones in there but mostly clear eggs. They are doing a good job so far and I haven't tried to remove the neons (the cory cats were removed yesterday).

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
most likely the parents will protect the eggs from the noens

just remember not to turn of the light during the next 24 hours, because if anything in the tank changes in the 24 hours after the eggs are laid, the parents sine they don't know what they are up against(stupid fish:)), eat their babies as to not let them come to harm:)

i am pretty sure this is true, a few members told me about this, and it happened to me twice.

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
I let the light cycle as usual. The eggs were not consumed by the parents, however they did start to fungus and none hatched. The gold pair ate another spawn and the koi-marble pair are cleaning leaves again so I removed their tankmates. Meanwhile my wife grabbed four more angels at a LFS we give our excess swordtails to. She got a silver, two leopards and a blue.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Cool:)
where are the new angels going, and how big are they?

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
The new angels are less than quarter sized bodies, about twice that fins top and bottom so youngsters yet. They're in one of my 55G with the other four small angels (dime size bodies), 8 guppies and six bleeding heart tetras. I've had so-so luck with angels breeding before. Seems that when I'm not ready for them that I get a good brood and then have to run around moving tanks.

I've got 12 tanks set up right now, 4-55G, 2-40GL, 38G, 2-29G, 2-20GH, 1-10G. My brother has decided to dump his tanks so I'm getting a 75G from him later this year. I almost talked my wife into a 150G from Craigslist but then hospital bills got in the way (wife had heart surgery this year).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store