Algae problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
I have a GSP set up in a 20 gallon with crushed coral. My tank is fully cycled but I keep getting brown algae on the floor and on the rocks. Any solutions?

NoMoreToys

AC Members
Mar 24, 2011
Otto cat fish.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
umm how brackish? i'd say a dragon goby as a sand sifter. Use nerites as a cleanup
And something to reduce nitrates and phosphates. Chemipure elite? brackish plants, etc

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
its at about .05 right now since hes still really little. the only thing is that he attacks anything i put in the tank. hes even bites me and my net.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
umm how brackish? i'd say a dragon goby as a sand sifter. Use nerites as a cleanup
And something to reduce nitrates and phosphates. Chemipure elite? brackish plants, etc
Nerites = puffer food

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
is there a chemical or anything that i could pretreat the water with to remove phosphates?

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
oops.. didn't see the gsp part.

but they use phosphates and silacates to grow soo.. go with algone... i guess would be the answer ?
but diatoms are a fact of life in most tanks. maintence wise since its a 10 gallon a toothbrush to a similar scrubbing utensil (something from the dollar store will do though not metal) on the rock and tank corners, kent metal scraper for the glass and agitate the sand a little as you would a saltwater tank

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks. I stopped by the LFS today and found a phosphate remover by Hagen. I am going to give it a try and see if anything improves. I also bought a bigger gravel vac so I could clean the gravel better. Hopefully this will improve with the diatoms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store