10 gallon builld

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so i just started my new 10 gallon tank! right now the only definent inhabitant is a pair of gardneri biassa killifsh. what im planning on adding is a pair of pygmy sunfish and maybe a small school of something but im not sure on the school and if i even want to do a school. if i did a school it'd have to be ok at room temp which is always in the low-middle 70's. ill upload a pic tomorrow but its not much just sand, a few rocks, and a few live and fake plants. so really right now i need to know what would be an OK schooling fish that either wont eat fish eggs or will take a while to start eating them bc i have a fry tank for the eggs.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
isn't this your new breeding killi tank? i wouldn't put anything else in this tank because they will likely eat the eggs. plus you might want to wait til this tank is cycled before adding anything new.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i used a filter from another tank so instant cycle. i dont think ill be breeding them and if i do could i just remove the eggs? if i do decide to breed seriously i have 2 other 10 gallons i can put up just for them.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
My suggestion, between this and your other thread about Killies and Pygmy Sunfish, is to stop trying to stock your native tanks like a tropical show tank. Stop trying to stock it to capacity, too. Natives need handled a little differently than your standard tropical aquarium fare. If you want to breed either of them, or if you want them to be the most comfortable and natural in the tank, species tanks are your best bet. With natives, it's less about having a pretty tank that is dynamic and active, and more about understanding and appreciating the nature of the fish itself. To do this, you shouldn't mix them with tropical aquarium fish.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
My suggestion, between this and your other thread about Killies and Pygmy Sunfish, is to stop trying to stock your native tanks like a tropical show tank. Stop trying to stock it to capacity, too. Natives need handled a little differently than your standard tropical aquarium fare. If you want to breed either of them, or if you want them to be the most comfortable and natural in the tank, species tanks are your best bet. With natives, it's less about having a pretty tank that is dynamic and active, and more about understanding and appreciating the nature of the fish itself. To do this, you shouldn't mix them with tropical aquarium fish.
+1

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
well said^^

I think you could see and observe their behavior better in a species tank as I have seen species tanks at SF academy of sciences and the fish interact much differently than when placed with other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store