white spot on guppy tail?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caykuu

AC Members
Jul 28, 2011
Not sure if the spot was already there when I brought him home today, but it's there. :s
It doesn't look like a grain of salt, and not fuzzy either. I observed closely, and the white color seems integrated in the tail, as if just a color change. There are no other spots (but I'll observe more for the next few days). So far, it's only Blue Male in the tank-- no other fish.
Is this ich, some other illness, or is it possible for a guppy to just have a natural white spot on the tail? :s

caykuu

AC Members
Jul 28, 2011
It's very difficult to take a good picture of him. D: Especially his fins, which are constantly fluttering ..

Urm, (more description) basically its a white dot that's kind of blended in with his tail; it's semi-transparent and flat just like the rest of his fins. It's not a bump at all, and there is no fuzz growing on it. I'm thinking coloration, but better safe than sorry. :s

EDIT: I managed to get a good photo.

emilyology

Registered Member
Nov 17, 2011
Hi there

I found this thread through the picture on google images. I have 3 male guppies and 2 of them have this coloration, one of them is also blue and yellow and has several of these white patches on his tail. The other is mainly orange and he has it on his back and on his tail. Did you ever find out what it is? I can't find anything online about it, I don't know whether to worry or not.

Thanks!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
That is one that will need time to clearly show what it is. Caudal and peduncle disease can show as a white spot devoid of color while the remaining areas shows normal coloring. I have not seen it in guppies as much as I have in tetras. If this shows to increase in area, move him to a QT tank asap. It becomes very hard to treat and euthanasia is usually the only option. The reason I suggest to leave and observe is that I am not entirely sure it is C&P disease as that is usually more on the peduncle than the caudal fin. He might just have a unique coloring to his caudal fin.

As long as the tail doesn't look frayed or eroded you should be just fine.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store