Giant tegu

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
I'm curious about these awesome reptiles. Does anyone here have one? I imagine the food cost is quiet great. But I wanted info about them that didn't come from a breeder.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I don't personally own them, but one of the guys at Skiptons Pets in Boston showed me one that they had. These guys are awesome, but they get HUGE. Plus, I think it's around 400+ for one.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I've never kept one but I would like an Argentine to some day. First off you need to get the right species. Columbians can be super mean and are sometimes mistakenly sold as Argentines (the species you want). They do eat a lot so be prepared for a hefty food bill but......because they hibernate for a few months a year there is a gap where you don't have to worry about the food bill. Knowing how to hibernate them properly is important so I'd so lots of research on that before you attempt to buy one. Plus, they will need a very large enclosure when they get older, especially if you end up with a male. There are a few people on the sister site MonsterFishKeepers that have them. They might be able to help you better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store