whats wrong with my ABN's fin!? please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

i heartmypleco

AC Members
Jul 20, 2011
so i woke up this morning to see this.. at first i thought it was blood but then i looked closer and noticed it looked like bruising or a rash or something along those lines.. idk who could have done this to him or what this even is.. hes ni there with a couple other BN's, a 2'' raphael, a 2 inch syno, and some kuhlis anyone know what this is?

i think it may beone of the younger male BN's.. ive seen them fight a little from time to time.. should i be worried?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I wouldn't be worried, if you have DW or caves in the tank, when my male and female ABNs were breeding, I saw this on my female, but its gone now(2 weeks), it should heal with normal care and WCs, it seems to happen when they cram themselves into small places like small caves in DW or in between decor or rocks.

i heartmypleco

AC Members
Jul 20, 2011
im definitely thinking its the younger bn male.. theyre both fighting. does that mean theyre both probably male? also the younger bn has a pink spot on its head but its very small and it sports bristles. so i know the pink spot usually females carry and i know if BN's have bristles really young teyre probably male. ive never been able to sex the one with the damage but could this mean its a male? they must be fighting over territory its getting kinda cramped in there in that 29 gallon, but they have to wait till i finish setting up the 90 g.. i also have another 10 gallon set up and a 5 im thinkng of movng the young male bn there temporarily..

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
the ABN in the pic is a female

females have NO bristles, and males do.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not always true...they often have just short ones....and later in maturity.....

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Not always true...they often have just short ones....and later in maturity.....
oh, okay, but they are still very small i assume?

well then maybe that one is female? ive had it for quite a while and never been able to figure it out
the one in the pic is for sure female if it is an adult, my male has bristles like +1cm long.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
im definitely thinking its the younger bn male.. theyre both fighting. does that mean theyre both probably male? also the younger bn has a pink spot on its head but its very small and it sports bristles. so i know the pink spot usually females carry ..
The ones with the pink area - which gets darker red as they near sexual maturity....is the Male, not the female. You have their genders reversed. The one in the pic does look like a female. The plecos scrape those fins up from time to time just from squeezing in an out of places including driftwood. I see it often on my plecos because I have a lot of driftwood. The pleco with the pink area on his head is probably getting interested in the female. If you're seeing fighting, it's good to separate the males and just leave one male in with that female. Give them a cave and see what happens in a couple of weeks! Even in the 90G if there's a fertile female and a couple of males.....there could still be fighting. Just because the tank is bigger doesn't mean one male won't go after another male at breeding time. When I had two males together, the younger male would lay on top of the cave and constantly try to get in the cave where the dad was guarding eggs. He just harassed that dad non-stop. So although there was no real fighting, I took the younger male out and cave him a cave and a couple of his own ladies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store