Discus questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
What's a good size tank to quarantine Discus in and use as a hospital tank. Would 40g breeder due. Or is it better to keep them with each other to prevent extra stress. These are just theoretical questions at the moment. I don't have any discus I just want to plan out my future tank really well. Atm it's just a dream but may become a reality in a year or so depending on funds. I'm strongly considering a 120 or 180 tank because of the depth so the discus can maneuver better.

Also, while I'm posting, do discus nibble plants. I've read mixed stuff that says they are ideal for large planted tanks and then other stuff says to keep the tank relatively sparse. I love the thought of aquascaping and since this is partly a dream tank anyway why not plan out a lush plant scenario. I would think it provides the discus with some shelter considering their relatively docile and sometimes shy cichlids. Also it would make the tetras I plan to add as dither fish really stand out.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Depending on how many discus you plan to keep then thinking ahead to possibly needing the hospital tank for sick adult discus, I think you could go with a 29G as a QT and hospital tank.. The larger the tank, the more meds you'd have to add if they get sick which can get expensive. Discus absolutely do not eat plants of any kind. Sounds like a nice dream tank!

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I have never owned discus but from what I have read they like plants and will leave them alone. The problem with plants and discus is discus like warm water so you need to make sure the plants you choose can handle the higher temps.

This page might help you decide what plants. These are recommended for discus tanks. http://www.tropica.com/plants/specific-purposes-/discus.aspx

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
@pinkertd - Oh good I already have a 29 that I got from a friend. It's empty now so will make a good setup.

@bradlgt21 - Thanks for the link!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Debbi's right - a 29 gal QT/hospital tank would be just fine.
Discus do well in planted environments, and the reasons some people suggest keeping the plantings sparse is basically to give the discus more space/swimming room, and to allow for easier cleaning of the tank and substrate.
But that's not to say you shouldn't try heavier planting.
Here's my tank a few months ago when the plantings were fairly new/young. They have since grown out a great deal, but I do periodic trimming to keep things neat - don't want a jungle in my discus tank.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/FTS-Osaka260

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
emile - your tank and discus are beautiful! Nice job! Is that a 72g bowfront?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I think the references you may be thinking of are talking about raising discus in a planted tank vs a bare tank. With the frequent feedings required for young discus, it can be quite a challenge to grow them out in a heavliy planted tank. Raising them in a bare bottom/potted plant tank makes it much easier to keep things super clean.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Oh, and btw, Debbi , if you like my Osaka tank (it's 41" X 18" X 24" high), there's an even better one - the Osaka 320 (84 gals - (all 3 in the series have rounded corners- there's one smaller one - a 155 - 41 gals.) - which is 48" X 18" X 24" high - and superb looking.
But, alas, they were discontinued by Fluval last year (too expensive I suppose) and are no longer available new.
Unless you find some LFS's or other outlets clearing them out. But I see the odd one occasionally on Craig's List at very reasonable prices. If I could get my hands on a 320 in good shape, I'd buy it in a heartbeat !
I'm sure you keep discus as well - would love to see some pics of your tank(s).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store