otto feeding question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
In a heavily planted tank, with out any noticable algae is it necessary to feed algae wafers for the ottos? Or will they get what they need from the bio film on the plants?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I highly doubt an aquarium can fully sustain otos long term...that being said I had a survivor oto that I thought had died pop up after a while and I hadn't specifically been target feeding it. Veggies will be good for them as well.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would keep an eye on body condition. If htey are staying fat and round, they may not need supplementation but it woulod take a heck of a lot of established plants. Supplementing with vegetables are much better than algae wafers for otos as algae wafers are often mainly fish meal, which is not what otos prefer. I feed my otos kens veggie sticks as well, which they love.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I have Ken's veggie sticks. 4 ottos in a 10 gallon with my scarlet badis, and snails, trying to keep the feeding in the right range to not promote snail over population.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store