Ground cover for Fluval Edge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
My fluval edge currently has ludwigia repens in the back hiding the equipment and it is doing great as long as I keep root tabs in the soil. But it keeps growing out of the water, I have to trim it back 2-3 times a week and it's getting really annoying.

So I am thinking of just ripping it out and putting it in my larger tank. Then my idea of a low maintanance setup for the Edge is as large of driftwood as I can fit though the stupid little hole with moss growing on it as the center piece. Then the black tahitian moon sand will have some ground cover growing on it. With the stock lighting of the Fluval Edge what ground cover will grow though will any? I already have crpt. parva in the tank, it's being shadowed and still hasn't died and might actually be spreading, so I am might keep that but if there is something out there easier let me know.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Is the actual stock lighting for the edge 2x10w halogen bulbs? If so, you could try something like dwarf sags or hairgrass but that doesn't seem like very much light.

Anubias should work as well although not a great "carpet" plant...

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Yes it's 2, 10 watt halogens. It's a very direct beam. The Ludwigia Repens is growing like a week because it's right below the beam. But the crypt wendii on the edges is yellow and dying. Hence why I want to just cut down the big center plants and just have like a moss filled rock or wood in the center. I want to simple it down. I am ok with nothing growing near the edges but I want it to be able to direct your attention to the center.

Is dward sag the easiest low light plant to grow for ground cover?

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
My vote would have to be for dwarf hairgrass. The only thing with DHG is that it is going to grow somewhat rapidly and you mite end up trimming it once a week. As far as dwarf sag goes, I'm honestly not too fond of it just because it can get a little taller than most foreground plant and as with all sags, you can't trim the leaves. A cut leaf is a dead leaf!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store