Not normaly a fan of Cichlids but....TELL ME MORE!!! Steatocranus Tinanti

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State

..the name says it all..

Im not a fan of most cichlids but i was at my LFS and i am across these guys..i have a soft sot for bottom dwellers and these guys are awesome..they have a group of 6..and i am trying to work out how to fit a 55 gallon along side all my other tanks for them.

I have done some research on them and the store was very knowledgeable ..basically everything i have found on the net about.

so tell me more....any one have them?..is 8.99 a good prices?...how do they do with tank mates.
best tank set up?

they had sand with lots and lots of logs in the tank..i would want to plant it mostly with Anubia java moss and pennywort.

Tell me everything you guys know! i really want this group....time to play tetris with the fish tanks....
I couldn't get pic of them they were moving around to quickly.​

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..would a single pare of convicts in a 55 gallon be safe as tank mates for about 6 of them?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
from my reading and experience with a friend's two convict inhabited tanks, a breeding pair of convicts will be nasty to just about anything else in the tank.

for these cute lil cichlids, i'd set up a species tank that is long and low. a 40 breeder would be perfect!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
yeah not going to put my cons with them..they will stay in there own tank.

i have a 55gallon im planning on setting up for a group of 6 of these guys..lots of logs and anubia plants ^_^...just looking for impute from people who have kept them iv already done allot of reading on them.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Pretty much the Steato's can be pretty much nasty there cousin the Buffaloheads are that way as well, You could probably get by with some mid to top water fish like Rainbow fish and should be ok but i really wouldn't add any other types of cichlids, do what you are thinking of for the 55gal for them, that price is really good for them, you might want to incorporate a powerhead on the side of the tank.. Man i wish i could find these here local i really want them..

cookymonster760

AC Members
Apr 4, 2011
man your lfs carry those cichlids and rabbit snails now im jealous i have a lf about 25 miles away from me and they barely have frontosa

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Pretty much the Steato's can be pretty much nasty there cousin the Buffaloheads are that way as well, You could probably get by with some mid to top water fish like Rainbow fish and should be ok but i really wouldn't add any other types of cichlids, do what you are thinking of for the 55gal for them, that price is really good for them, you might want to incorporate a powerhead on the side of the tank.. Man i wish i could find these here local i really want them..
^_^ im re arranging tanks tomorrow to make room for the 55..im hoping to breed them..so maybe when i get a few extras i can try my hand at shipping and sell you some !

i was thinking of trying my paradise fish in with them..they are mostly top dwelling fish.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
they carry allot of really neat stuff..maybe ill get pics of the hole store when i go up to buy them..some of the people at the store said there has not been allot of interest in them so far...we shall see ^_^...and its not really a LFS..its about 35 mins away but i don't mind the drive.

the store mainly caters to 20 gallon tanks and less tons and tons of micro fish..and tons and tons of plants its a great store with over 100 tanks amazing shop!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store