Discus Spitting Out Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swick

AC Members
Nov 18, 2005
I have a blue diamond together (about 4 inches) with a blue turq in a 55g aquarium. I've had the blue diamond for about 7 months and the blue turq for about 2 years. There's also some glass catfish, tetra, and cory cats in the tank.

About 5 days ago I put an extra bloodworm cube in than I normally do, and later on I noticed my blue diamond had an unusually large belly. Looks like he ate too much and I thought nothing of it.

Next day, he doesn't eat. I figure that's normal and hes probably just full. He doesn't eat for 3 more days after that. On the 4th day his stomach looked normal again and he tried to eat some brine shrimp but then spit it out.

Now its the 5th day and today he continuously tried to eat blood worms, but then spit them out over and over. I didn't see him swallow even one. Just spitting.

He's a tad bit darker in color, has been hanging in the corner of the tank more, and is a little more anxious/jumpy than usual. He didn't come to the front of the tank this morning when I woke up, like he usually does. I also noticed today the tip of what seems to be white poop protruding from his underside. It's not sticking out very far yet so I can't analyze it much more than that, it's just a white tip.

Water changes are 50% weekly. PH is around 7.0, Temp is 82F. Gravel/Planted aquarium.

All other fish are fine, but my blue diamond is obviously sick.

Does anyone know what this is and what I should do about it? I don't want to lose him!

Thanks!

eviz

Registered Member
Jun 16, 2012
Discuss spitting out food, getting skinny

I have a blue diamond together (about 4 inches) with a blue turq in a 55g aquarium. I've had the blue diamond for about 7 months and the blue turq for about 2 years. There's also some glass catfish, tetra, and cory cats in the tank.

About 5 days ago I put an extra bloodworm cube in than I normally do, and later on I noticed my blue diamond had an unusually large belly. Looks like he ate too much and I thought nothing of it.

Next day, he doesn't eat. I figure that's normal and hes probably just full. He doesn't eat for 3 more days after that. On the 4th day his stomach looked normal again and he tried to eat some brine shrimp but then spit it out.

Now its the 5th day and today he continuously tried to eat blood worms, but then spit them out over and over. I didn't see him swallow even one. Just spitting.

He's a tad bit darker in color, has been hanging in the corner of the tank more, and is a little more anxious/jumpy than usual. He didn't come to the front of the tank this morning when I woke up, like he usually does. I also noticed today the tip of what seems to be white poop protruding from his underside. It's not sticking out very far yet so I can't analyze it much more than that, it's just a white tip.

Water changes are 50% weekly. PH is around 7.0, Temp is 82F. Gravel/Planted aquarium.

All other fish are fine, but my blue diamond is obviously sick.

Does anyone know what this is and what I should do about it? I don't want to lose him!

Thanks!
Hi Swik,
my discuss has the same problem, it used to be good eater but now hes behavior is same as you described. I already lost two smaller ones which suddenly stopped eating, then tried to eat just to pit the food out, then wasted away and died. I would be very thank full if you could let me know what was wrong with your fish and how you treated it.
Cheers

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Sounds like an internal parasite issue to me.
I lost a couple discus over the years with similar conditions as yours.

I recently spoke with a fairly successful discus breeder in central Ohio who told me never to feed bloodworms to discus, due to the increased risk of internal parasites.
He explained to me that blood worms are associated with several types of internal parasites.
I wish I had spoken with him sooner.

I would isolate the fish and treat it in a hospital tank for internal parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store