Two id's please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Edit: See Post #2 for question and photos from the OP. Thanks... Kashta.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I almost finished my post yesterday, but a lovely power outage happened, lasted from 5-11:30pm! Anyway, I have two plecos, one looks like a common, not a P. J. nor a P Gibs. It sems to be like one of those 'google-monster/huge pleco.' Don't have great pics of that one, it hides and is very shy.
The other is similar to a BN, but no bristles at all.
The common came from plants, not sure where the other came from.
Ideas on what they are?

This one is 3in or so, same size as my BNs.

Common.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
The first looks like a female bristlenose pleco. While most of the time they have some texture to their snout, there are cases where they are smooth. Personally, I prefer these.

I have no clue on the second... Where did you get the plants from? It could be a hybrid.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Plants from petsmart/walmart.
Never seen a BN female with a clean nose, I also like that better. Always heard they would have something on them.

If the 'common' is actually a common, I'll move him out to my pond.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Well I've seen several times from big box stores that sell plecos as commons and they could be almost anything. One way or another I suspect it will get big.

Plecos are tropical species so they will most likely die in a pond in Virgina. I know several people who keep them in ponds during the warmer months and then move them into a heated tote (usually in the garage) for winter. If done that way, you could end up with a GIANT pleco!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Yea, I would bring him back in for Fall/winter, if I can catch him, lol.
My P.J. pleco was under the name common, he was a cute and very nice fish. But he recently passed. Haven't bought any new plecos since then, just some plants.

I think I need to catch and take pics of my other BNs so I can hopefully sell one or two of them. I've got 5 BNs, a clown and now a common...lol.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Whoa, there's two posts?? Sorry you guys, I have no idea what happened...

I got my originals from a breeder on here, since then they have been in other tanks and some given away. Idk how just one BN could of gotten in this tank. They were all a good size before the big move. I know the common had to come from plants, the look of it is very distinct and it's growing fast.

I have 1 male for sure, one with very small bristles and 3rd with medium bristles but few of them. Never seen one w/o them.

Last edited:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Merged your threads together and removed the posts asking for pics. This should minimize the confusion duplicate threads create for everyone.

Good luck with the ID! Cute fish!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store