keeping Hemidactylus turcicus (Mediterranean House Gecko)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
anyone have any experience with keeping these guys? I have been doing some reading on them but was wondering if any one on here. I always feel better after consulting with the mass of minds on here. :D

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I had a breeding group of them years ago. What do you want to know about them?

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
oh thanks! well as far as geckos go are they a good place to start? i have kept lizards, salamanders, snakes, and newts before (some of which i still have), but have never kept a gecko. After that just your recommended setup, I have read a few different opinions mostly saying that traditional reptile terrariums that open in the front like those from exoterra and the like are bad ideas.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
If you want a species that you can interact with and hold, this really isn't the one for you. Yes, they can be held but they are rather skittish animals and the skin is delicate and easily torn if mishandled. Now if you want a display animal then this species works fine for that. Of course they are nocturnal so you won't see much action until late in the evening and when you turn the lights off. When I kept them I had a 1.3 group in a 29 gallon high that was heavily planted with lots of branches and places to hide. At the time it worked great.

I'm not sure where you heard that Exo Terras are bad. I have 2 of them and they both contain arboreal geckos and I love them! They are a lot easier to work in than normal tanks. You just have to make them escape proof which means covering up any spots where they could possibly squeeze out. And of course you have to watch when you open the doors that nothing runs out.

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
hmmm thanks for the info. They will be primarily display animals, I'd rather hold my Mangrove Salt Marsh snake simply because he likes being held and is much much slower than a gecko lol.

So the Exo Terra would be a good way to go for these guys?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
those are beautiful setups! I do believe I am going to go with the Exo Terra now. Thanks a million!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
No prob. Good luck and keep us updated.

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
oh two other questions, what do you know of the sexual dimorphism of these guys. I've read on it but I was wondering if you might have a few other quick tips, and what is the recommended occupency for the Exo Terra small tank (the one you have)?

Last edited:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
oh two other questions, what do you know of the sexual dimorphism of these guys. I've read on it but I was wondering if you might have a few other quick tips, and what is the recommended occupency for the Exo Terra small tank (the one you have)?

Both sexes look pretty identical. The only sure way is to check if they have pre-anal pores. It looks like a "v" shape above the vent. If it has these it's a male. Also males have a slight bump just after the vent called a Hemipenile Bulges. The female don't have any of these characteristics or if they do they're greatly diminished. It's pretty easy to sex them when they are stuck to the glass.

I have 2 different size Exo Terras. The one is an 18"x18"x24" which could easily house 2-4 geckos. My smaller tank is a 12"x12"18". You could keep a pair of House Geckos in that size tank. Just remember that males kept together can fight so the rule of thumb is one per tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store