Help a mommy BN get some weight on her?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Since my BN plecos started breeding my female has got super thin after the spawn and I'd like to effectively bulk her back up. In between the 1st and 2nd spawn she wasn't able to put on nearly as much weight as I would have liked, she was still thin with eggs. So what kinds of food would help put some weight on her without being too high in protein? Right now she gets algae pellets, zuchinni and occasional shrimp pellets plus whatever she scavenges which isn't much cause I try to feed lightly (NLS flake, freeze dried tubiflex worms, frozen blood worms, veggie flakes...). Think I should separate her from everyone till she gets filled out?

The picture doesn't show it too well but she is VERY thin. Her ribcage edges are sharp and you can see a raised upside down Y in her abdomen area.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If she is breeding, she is probably not starving too much. The biggest thing is making sure she is with tankmates that don't feed too quickly.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I know she is not starving, I certainly see her eat and of course she has enough resources to produce eggs. I am just looking for any tips/foods to help get her top notch, I hate seeing her this thin. She hasn't put on any weight since her last spawn and that was mid April. By now she should be filling in a little but she is completely con-caved still.

100_5806.JPG

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
A stomach like that is not a good sign unfortunately. After the last spawn, something internally may have gone wrong causing this. It is not normal, I've only seen starved plecos have the concave belly and they always seem to die. Something's not right. She appears as you say to eat, but 1) she may not be swallowing it or able to swallow it anymore for some reason, 2) her body now is somehow not able to take any nutrition from the food that does get ingested. When she's up against the glass, do you ever see poo coming out of her. Bristlenoses pass poop about every 10 seconds! Well, at least it seems that way. I wouldn't isolate her because it will just induce more stress to take her out of her familiar environment. Keep up with zuchinni chunks and be sure to make then softer for her to eat than you normally would. You live in NJ and so do I. I'm using a new soft pellet on my plecos from called HBH Super Soft & Moist Spirulina, it is only 33% protein has some garlic in it which is an additoinal immune system booster and it's also vitamin and mineral supplemented. I've been using kens veggie sticks and my sensitive baby plecos just aren't happy with it....and it's 45% protein which really is still too high for my plecos. I'd be happy to mail you some, first class mail if you'd like. Just send me your addy.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have observed her eating and it seems that she does swallow the food so it must be something with absorbing like you said. She did look like this after the first spawn too but put on a little weight than surprised me with a spawn again so after she looked like this she was absorbing enough to develop eggs. I recently have noticed that I have not been seeing poop when she is on the glass and like you said you usually do and that's why I came here. I hope I can figure this out, she is my first fish ever acquired. :( I'll PM you about the food. Thanks!

(Her first spawn was in Nov I believe)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
good luck:)

I also think that giving the fish the most oppurtunity to attempt to eat would maybe help you find out what the actual problem is

i think peas help with digestion(deshelled)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store