Mediterranean House Gecko

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
Hey guys, I just recently found a House Gecko in, you guessed it, my house. I live in Central Florida and just moved in to a new apartment. The gecko is really young, it's maybe .75" in length, semi-transparent, and fast! I decided that instead of releasing it into the wild (I live in a rather urban setting), I'd give it a proper home in a tank.

I have a 20 gallon that I'm not using, so I figured I could use that for the gecko. I've also read that they don't really need too many special lights. I keep my apartment at around 76 degrees, so let me know if that's too cold.

I was wondering, what kind of "-arium" could I make this? If possible, I'd like to make a setup with another aquatic or amphibious animal that could be found in Florida. I'd also like to keep my setup strictly Floridian, so cypress and sand are completely in.

Any ideas on how I could set up a 20gal tank with as many species of plants and animals as possible? Once again, keep in mind that I'd like to keep it as "Florida" as possible.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Do you e er go outside and see lizards run around in the bushes? Those are brown enoles. Catch one and ad it

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
Nope. It was in my apartment when I was rearranging furniture. I've got green and brown anoles out the wazoo here (along with other lizards), but this is definitely a gecko; fat head, distinct body and tail fat, detachable tail, and almost see-through. Looks like this, but a lot smaller:

http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/images/hturcicus1006cu2.jpg

I wouldn't take it from the wild, but this little guy's been in my apartment since I first moved in a week ago, so I'm pretty sure he's been here longer. Just like to give him/her a proper home.

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
homedog98:

I see these geckos all the time around here, they're actually an invasive species to the Southeast, originally from Turkey and the Mediterranean area. I tried to find any laws against keeping these lizards and couldn't find any, and like I said it was already in my house, so I didn't collect it from the wild. But lizards are quite abundant in this part of Florida, I don't see why it'd be illegal here.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
I meant you could get an anole too.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
I thought anoles were aggressive and territorial? I don't know too much about lizards though, so I could be mistaking anoles for another species.
Only males are if they're with other males.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store