Angelfish and Serpae tetra's - a good idea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
I thought I'd bring this discussion to this section of the forum and see what the angelfish experts think. I have a 125 gallon planted tank with 18 Serpae tetras, 6 large cories, 3 otos, 2 albino long-finned plecos, and 5 sidthimunkis. Its been up for 3-4 months now and, in my opinion, things are going well. The plants have grown in nicely and the fish are active, feed well, and seem to get along.

Here's a shot of the tank...
015 (3).JPG

What I'd like to do is add 4 angelfish as a centerpiece group to this mix. I'm establishing a 20g high grow out tank for the angels to land in when they arrive. Plan on letting them grow up some prior to releasing them into the 125 community tank.

Here's a shot of my grow out tank...
024.JPG

My questions are: Will the Serpae tetras, if kept in a school or say 20-30, nip and harass the angelfish if I allow them to grow to sufficient size? If so, what do you feel that "sufficient size" is?

Thanks in advance. The grow out tank is still getting established and stabilized, but I'd like to move forward

015 (3).JPG 024.JPG

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
I've got Serpae tetras in two 55G tanks with Angels. The Angels don't bother the Serpae tetras and I haven't seen the Serpae go after the Angels fins. However I only have 5 Serpae in each tank. One 55 has 2 large adult Angels in it while the other has 6 juvi Angels ranging from nickel to quarter sized bodies. I've tried various tetras (Cardinals, Neons, Black Neons, Serpae, Bleeding Heart, Black Skirt) with Angels and I haven't seen much of a problem as long as the tetras are too large to swallow.

On the other hand, I've lost a few tetras to my Yoyo Loaches and size hasn't helped there.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
I once tried introducing sixteen serpae tetras into a 75 gallon tank that was home to Boesemani rainbows. Odessa barbs, cories and a blue gourami. Two days later I noticed that the gourami, all the rainbows, three of the cories and two barbs had tails and fins that were nipped so I moved the serpaes to a 20 gallon tank.

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Hi Dave!
First I would like to say SWEET 125!!! Your sword is nice, I am soo jealous! my sword just won't grow well. :cry:
Anyway, in my planted 55 community the tetras (serpae and vonrio) don't really seem to bother the angels much, now the angels in there are about half dollar size but they started out in there at quarter size...
All the tetras school together and tend to just chase each other around but they do occasionally nip at other fish but nothing serious...
Hope this helps, Good luck!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have a tank full of serpaes and blackskirts and has been maintained that way for 5 years. They mix well even with some tigerbarbs. I did try adding a pair of angels and it just didn't work even with removing the tigers. Later on, I had more problems with the angels and they never did settle. Just depends on the fish you get I guess.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I know people have had issues with combining serpaes and angels. One account I read said that they killed the guys 2 angel fish. I have no personal experience with serpaes (I keep rosy tetras, which are really pretty, and not a nippy) but I'm just letting you know what I've read/heard about from other people. Then again, I see some posters here say they haven't had issues... not sure what to tell ya, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
This thread is several months old, but I'll comment for any others considering adding serpaes to an angel tank. I added six serpaes to my 46 gallon with an angelfish a few months ago, but it didn't work out. The serpaes tormented the angel to the point that it had taken to hiding, and it began to look ragged.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Didn't notice this thread had been resurected. For the prpose of follow up, I did end up getting 4 angels to put in the 125 with the 20+ Serpae tetras. They started about quarter size in the grow out tank, then moved into the main tank without a problem. Although initially skittish, the seemed to take to the tank and were great. I think the tank was big enough the Serpaes kept to themselves for the most part. Unfortunately, due to an unfortunate pH probe incident, the angels all died... I plan on getting 4 more soon. They were great centerpiece fish.

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Interesting topic and there are many varying experiences. I have 9 serpaes (fully grown) and have recently added 6 angels (2 weeks). There is absolutely NO aggression so far, from either side, NO fin nipping :) They just chase each other at times. Also they have NEVER bothered the 12 cardinals I have in there, although I was advised they would . . . So . . . I also heard that serpaes will fin nip if they think they are starving, so I feed everyone well and do 3 25% water every week. My only worry is that the angels will breed as I'm not at all set up for that. Hope that helps.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Progress report

Just as an update, I did put 4 more black veiled angelfish in my 125 gallon with my 20+ Serpae tetras and 6 Congo tetras and everyone seems to be getting along OK. I've not really noticed any fin nipping behavior thus far. They've been together about 4-6 weeks. The angelfish are now 3-4 inches diameter. The Serpae's mostly keep to themselves. Its a big enough school I guess they feel safe and don't get too defensive when the larger fish buzz around.

2-13-12.2 533.JPG2-13-12.2 530.JPG2-3-12 Full View.jpg

2-13-12.2 533.JPG 2-13-12.2 530.JPG 2-3-12 Full View.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store