Need help breeding Panda Corydoras.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chingo2010

AC Members
May 22, 2011
I have 11 panda corys, and the males are about 1.1 inch and the females close to 1.3 inch, but they are not breeding at all. I change the water once a week 50% and feed them pellets, white worms, and some flake every other day in that order. but they are not breeding. I also have 3 angelfish in the tank and 7 ghost shrimp. The tanks is heavily planted.

one half of the tank is java fern and the other half has amazon swords and anachris. the PH is about 6.8 - 7.2 it fluctuates. I never tested the hardness but the hardness in the water I use at home are 25 - 30 dH. I need some advice. Should I move the angelfish? or are they still too young?

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
How old are they?
I know with my green cory, the water needs to me 78F or around that and then a big cool water change triggers them to breed the same day or over the next 24hrs or so.
We have 80F water all the time now, so cool w/c doesn't help, it's just too warm all together.

chingo2010

AC Members
May 22, 2011
well I don't know. I got them in a shipment 2 months ago. so maybe 5-9 months old? is that too young?

The water temp in my tank is 73F when I change water should I put more ice in there to induce cooler temp?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would think they are still a bit young. That is plenty cool. They need a good meaty diet and maturity. Then large volume water changes should induce spawning, especially if a huge water change is done just before a thunderstorm.

Do you notice that the females are extremely plump and considerably bigger than the males? If not, give them more time.

chingo2010

AC Members
May 22, 2011
okay. I do feed them a lot. All the food I feed are either live feed, or food or flake or pellet with with a minimum 49% protein. Well the females are plumpy yet, but they are definitely bigger than my males, they are not plump to the point where they are titter totting. So I am guessing they might be too young.

Do I have to do more frequent water changes? instead of just once a week? should I do maybe 3-4 50% Change each week?

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
okay. I do feed them a lot. All the food I feed are either live feed, or food or flake or pellet with with a minimum 49% protein. Well the females are plumpy yet, but they are definitely bigger than my males, they are not plump to the point where they are titter totting. So I am guessing they might be too young.

Do I have to do more frequent water changes? instead of just once a week? should I do maybe 3-4 50% Change each week?
I know this thread is a bit dated, but it seems there were unanswered questions and I have a little experience in this area.

I keep 4 adult panda corys that breed regularly in a planted 10g tank with tahitian moon sand substrate and 36w of CFL lighting. The water temperature is generally between 76F and 78F, though I've reduced it a bit lately. I have a single hydro sponge filter in the tank and a ton of frogbit and duckweed on the surface which makes it somewhat gloomy a good amount of the time. I do 50% water changes with temperature-matched water (72 at the coldest) every 2 weeks. I feed them a mixture of Ken's earthworm sticks, algae wafers, veggie sticks, gold pearls of various sizes, and live micro worms. I probably see new eggs every week, though they don't lay a lot of them and they tend to be just about anywhere in the tank, with more being affixed to leaves of my java fern or amazon swords than anywhere else. To date I have 4 fry that have survived - 2 juveniles that are about 1" long and 2 little ones that are a bit over 1/2". I seem to have better luck raising the fry when I remove them to a separate tank (where I feed micro worms to them and danio fry), though one of mine did grow up in the same tank as the adults (along with tons of red ramshorn snails, a couple of briggs, and a bunch of snowball shrimp).

If you're still around, I hope this helps. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store