Shrimp tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok so i plan on starting a shrimp tank since none of my other tanks can have shrimp. it will be a 10 gallon heavily planted. now i have a couple of questions.
1.does it need to be filtered?
2.can i have miracle grow with sand over it as a substrate?
more questions will be asked later :)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
1. No, but filtration is always a nice backup. If it is heavily planted then an "el natural" tank is certainly doable with shrimp.

2. Miracle Gro is a brand with a few different types of soil under their name. Do you know which? I am currently using their organic potting soil capped with sand.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Yes a filter would be nice , a air driven sponge filter or a HOB with a sponge filter on the inlet if not the baby's well get sucked up , but if your going heavily planted it might not matter to much still some well die.

Not sure on miracle grow its already pre fertilized and shrimp don't take to well to ferts

maybe you should setup the tank and wait a few months before introducing your shrimp

Ok its organic so your probably all right but like i said shrimp don't do to well with ferts , But then other people do just fine with them in a heavy planted tank

What shrimp are you planing on ?

non organic miracle grow has the following

Urea
57-13-6
Urea phosphate
4861-19-2
Potassium Chloride
7447-40-7
Ammonium Phosphate
7722-76-1
Iron EDTA
15708-41-5

Last edited:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i can add an internal filter with something over the intake, but itd need to be moved to my fry tank for when i have fry.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Is that for their actual organic potting mix Jody? I'm not finding a MSDS and I don't see any of that on the back of my bag.

Their potting soil should hardly be a problem....0.10-0.05-0.05 isn't much at all.

http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i think ill skip the miracle grow and just do sand. the only species of shrimp im 100% sure im getting are red cherry shrimp. what other shrimp could i keep with them? oh and if you own a shrimp tank is it fun to watch?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store