29 Gallon Native Build?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I have really been getting into native's in the past two months or so. I have a 29g with some sub-adult convicts that I was planning on selling within the next few months. The tank is running on a Tetra EX 40 with a bubble stick thingy. There are lots of rocks and java moss and I was planning on adding more plants if I could accomplish this tank. I would be purchasing the fish off Aquabid, most likely. What are some ideas. This is just a plan and I will have to take other things into consideration before being set on this idea. Just wanting some ideas!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
A peaceful Sunfish species like Orange Spots, Dollars, Blue Spots, etc, along with a group of Shiners and a Madtom for clean-up. There are loads of nice Shiners, but for year-round color Rainbows are hard to beat.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
A peaceful Sunfish species like Orange Spots, Dollars, Blue Spots, etc, along with a group of Shiners and a Madtom for clean-up. There are loads of nice Shiners, but for year-round color Rainbows are hard to beat.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. There are also some nice dace. I really like red-bellied dace if you can find them

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I would really like something that would breed in the tank. Something where the fry don't need microfoods to eat, where they can eat algae in the tank, or stuff that grows in the java moss or crushed flake. If you understand what I mean?

Mr.Catfish

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
NW Ohio
Heterandria formosa,gambusia holbrooki,gambusia affinis,Enneacanthus gloriosus, I have bred these all these with very little work or effort on my part. The fry either ate what was in the tank or ate crushed flake. The bluespotted sunfish only had 3 fry survive with this method though.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
Heterandria formosa,gambusia holbrooki,gambusia affinis,Enneacanthus gloriosus, I have bred these all these with very little work or effort on my part. The fry either ate what was in the tank or ate crushed flake. The bluespotted sunfish only had 3 fry survive with this method though.
Gambusia are mosquito fish, correct? Are all of those live-bearers except the Enneacanthus gloriosus (that's the sunfish, right?)
Are these fish colorful?

Mr.Catfish

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
NW Ohio
Yes they are mosquito fish. Correct again they are live-bearers except for Enneacthus gloriosus. Heterandria formosa are not really colorful but are still pretty. Gambusia are plain unless you get a melanistic strain. Bluespotted sunfish are beautiful but not the most colorful when it comes to sunfish.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Yes they are mosquito fish. Correct again they are live-bearers except for Enneacthus gloriosus. Heterandria formosa are not really colorful but are still pretty. Gambusia are plain unless you get a melanistic strain. Bluespotted sunfish are beautiful but not the most colorful when it comes to sunfish.
Not unless they're breeding!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Bluespotteds are my personal favorite.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
gambusia are usually pretty plain (like female guppies). the true mosquito fish (gambusia affinis) is a very aggressive fish that will not play well with others, even fish a couple times larger. don't know if this applies to other gambusia

You should have some darters in your area which would be nice bottom fish (not a bottom cleaner like a madtom, but cute little carnivores)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store