channel cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
What would be the recommended minimum depth for a channel cat to winter over in SW Ohio?

I have two ponds. One is 6' L x 4' W x 3' D with nothing but bull frogs in it right now. I need to get the filter running again, but this was my idea. Get small channels to grow out from now till mid spring. Some will go into a 1 acre pond, others go to other ponds for stocking, and keep a couple in the small pond probably becoming dinner at the end of next summer. Then just start all over again.

Anyway, need to know if they will winter over in the 3' deep pond?

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Im no expert but I think that small of a pond would freeze solid in winter.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you run aeration, it should be ok--but without a bubbler, yes, it will freeze completely over and likely kill the fish.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
yes it will freeze over considering the big pond we have been ice staking on. Running a bubbler or floating heater won't be a problem. Frost ine is 18" & should be a couple inches of silt & debris to hibernate in. Thanks.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Freeze over isn't a problem. Freezing solid top to bottom is. Check with a plumber in your area to see how deep the frostline is and go at least 1' deeper.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
Yeah frost line is 18". Sounds like it will work. My issue now is that I don't know if I can get a lot of less than 100 3-5".......at least not locally. Bugger, I wanted to half that....

I'll keep working on it. thanks guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store