pleco fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
i have a pair of bn plecos and she spawns pretty regular i did have lots of fry some about half grown they have been disappearing i am now down to 3 fry and i'm wondering whats happening to them could it be that the mother is killing them she has been mean to them lately the other fish in the tank is neons bleeding heart tetras rasboris and cories the tank is heavy planted and i haven't tried to remove the fry i would probably destroy the tank any one have any ideas

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
A tank with lots of bristlenoses would require a lot of food to keep them all alive. I would say that they are slowly starving to death, being outcompeted by their own kind, just too many in there. I have to pull the fry out of my 75G heavily planted tank before they leave the cave. If I don't, within 2 weeks of coming out of the cave they will all have disappeared and there are no predator fish in the tank. Mine need fry food to survive. Biofilm, a little soft algae, and leftover food particles just do not keep them alive.

Last edited:

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
A tank with lots of bristlenoses would require a lot of food to keep them all alive. I would say that they are slowly starving to death, being outcompeted by their own kind, just too many in there. I have to pull the fry out of my 75G heavily planted tank before they leave the cave. If I don't, within 2 weeks of coming out of the cave they will all have disappeared and there are no predator fish in the tank. Mine need fry food to survive. Biofilm, a little soft algae, and leftover food particles just do not keep them alive.
+1

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store