Finally got that salt tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
So a while back I posted a thread about how I was getting a 12gal nanocube. Well that fell through, the guy basically didn't feel like bringing it home with him. I offered to drive the 3 hrs to get it but he said up and down it'd be no problem to bring it. (we graduated HS together so he was coming here to visit family anyway). So I gave up on that and started hunting craigslist again. One night I was poking around and found a 28gal aquapod for 100$.... I called the guy and made plans to go get it the next day. I drove about 80 minutes to get the tank and it was better than I thought. It was a 28gal aquapod from which he removed is livestock and left running, so the rock was still cured. He gave me about 2lbs of rubble that go in the overflow for filtration and about 5 lbs of regular live rock, covered in what I assume from brief reading is maco algae. He said it was useful in absorbing phosphates and out competing most algae. He called one kind an "algae bubble" the other I have no idea what it is. There were a few hitchhiking corals, starfish, and abalones (I think). The tank was full of sand but I took it out, rinsed it in freshwater, let it sit for about 30 min with a high dose of prime, and stirred it when the prime was in there. I then placed my rock, added my sand around the rock (for support) and added fresh 1.025 salinity (not sure on units) of fresh salt water. I purchased about 25 lbs of cured live rock. 10lbs of it looked kinda eh and wasn't very interesting. the other 15lbs I bought from my LFS for 8.50$ a lb, the owner of the store said the rock came from one of his maintenance accounts and he could guarantee that the rock had never been in contact with any chemicals that were toxic to reefs and that the rock was 6 years cured.

Right now I'm letting things "cycle" the owner said I shouldn't have much of a cycle because of how pure the rock was, and I already have a diatom bloom. I bought an API liquid kit, but I got the saltwater masters kit instead of the Reef keepers kit so I have to go exchange that before I'll be able to post any levels.

The only issues I"m having with the tank are the actenic bulb is out and the fans don't seem to be working, I'm assuming both can easily be replaced.

and pictures :)

The hitch hikers..... (any id's would be very helpful :) quality isn't great, the only camera i have is my iphone )

In this one there is the closed up coral that looks the same as the first picture and then the little bubble things, the green one i think is another "algae bubble" but not sure on the clear one.

The final rock structure

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Pic 4 looks like a Bristle star leg, could end up being a problem, they get pretty big. Pic 6 looks like it could be an Aiptasia, but I'm not sure on that, it seems a little darker at the top, and with smaller tentacle things. Is the base rigid or does it sway?

The tank looks very nice, and I like the colorful stand :) As for the Fans, check to make sure they aren't just jammed in something before replacing. Can't help with coral ID's never had corals. BTW, how big is that green bubble thing in your 8th picture? It looks massive! The plantas are... um.... IDK, but I had them for a little while they look nice, but they may attempt to take over the tank.

Welcome to the Dark Side of Fishkeeping Bally! Good luck with the tank! BTW, you may want to get more Live Rock, not because it's needed, but because it looks nicer (IMO) to have a higher rock level then that. But each to their own!

~Siv

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The algae looks like it could be a type of Caulerpa (sounds like Grape Caulerpa from the description). Not bad to have in the tank, but many people consider it a pest to get rid of in the display tank.

Pic 6 doesn't look like Aiptasia. May be a type of tube anenome but it looks attached to the rock.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I didn't get a whole ton of rock because I figured that when I started buying corals they would come attached to rock and I didn't want to get over loaded.

With the corals they are fairly rigid, they don't blow around but aren't floppy. I don't think it's aphasia because it doesn't "run away" when you go near it. It hardly closes unless I touch/bump it. It doesn't go into a hole, just folds into it's self, and it's attached to the rock.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Congrats on the startup! Great looking cube!

The aptasia looking corals are botton polyps or paltyhoa (simialr looking to zoanthids but larger, more agreesive and invasive). They are not necessarily a pest, especially if you like them. The coral in the 3rd pic looks to be some type of monitpora which is an SPS coral (one of the easier SPS). If you tank has CF bulbs, you will want to move that one up in the tank. The palys can grow under just about any conditions.

That is definitely a starfish leg and most like a brittle star. As FF mentioned, some of these can get big and they are quick enough to snag sleeping fish. I would not kill it or anything. Just keep an eye on it as it does not appear to be very big.

The 2 macros I see look to be caulerpa prolifera and grape caulerpa (caulerpa racemosa) but I could be wrong as the pics are a little far away. Caulerpa isn't necessarily bad but it can be invassive in a dispaly tank and can also go sexual causing problems. In a smaller tank, I might be inclide to remove it, at least the grape. If you decide to keep it you will want to keep it trimmed back and do some research.

Bubble algae is bad. It is invasive and you want to remove it. The common belief is that you should not pop the bubbles when you remove them or spores will release and cause it to spread. I am not sure if this is true or not but many people say emerald crabs will eat the bubbles. If this is true, the crab has to pop the bubble to eat it. Anyway most of them can be "rolled" off rocks with a little coaxing. Eventually you'll pop one. Don't sweat it though.

The seller was correct about macros (well algae in general) consuming nutrients as nutients and light are what they need. the trick. the caulerpa will help fight off other nuissance algaes but most people that use macro for nutrient control use chaetomorpha which does not root and grows fairly rapidly. Chaeto is typically used in refugiums though and not in the display tank.

The fans should be able to be purchased through Current (manufacturer of Aquapods) but you may want to see if you can find some computer fans (SilentX, etc.) which will be much quieter.

I would not count on corals coming on large enough rocks to make that much of a difference unless you plan on buying colonies. If you want/need more rock, I would cycle it all at once or if you add rock later make sure it is fully cured or it is completely clean dry rock.

If you're going to buy a new actinic bulb you may just want to go ahead and get a new daylight (or 50/50 bulb) too. If the bulb you have now is more than a year old, the bulb might not be much good and may be of a spectrum that nuissance algae prefer.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Should I try to remove the little bubbles or just get an emerald crab with my "cleanup crew"?

I have no idea on stocking as of yet.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Your "abalones" are most likely Stomatella snails. Beneficial hitchhikers.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
nice! I know nothing about saltwater, but it looks very nice!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Looks like a sea slug or something... weird....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store