New to discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Okay, so I want to get into discus with 125 gallon fish tank. It currently has 9 parrot cichlids which I'm going to sell. I basically need all you're willing to give!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
For starters, you may find it helpful to read through my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus.
A lot of it is elementary tank routine & maintenance, and which I think you're probably well aware of, but there are a number of sections that specifically pertain to giving a newcomer to discus a better insight into selecting, keeping & raising these fish successfully.
Here's the link:
www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of any help as you get going with the project.
Regards & best of luck,
Paul

sendthis

AC Members
May 16, 2011
Ancistrus go very well with discus. Most people don't report them sucking on the slime coat that other suckerfish have a tendency to do. Corys are another good tankmate. Both actually have very similar temperature/water requirements too.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I agree that Cories are great tankmates.
In a 125 gal tank, you can add almost anything that is compatible with discus - examples: Cardinal Tetras, a school of 30 or more; Rummy Nose Tetras; Harlequin or Copper Rasboras; 6-10 Rams - Bolivians, or German Blues. Pretty well any good sized Tetras that you like, Lemons, Glo-Lites, Serpaes, Head & Tail Lites, whatever.
In a tank that size, some would even keep 8 -10 Angels with them. Depends on what suits you. Let me know what you're thinking, and I'll try to advise whether they're compatible and can tolerate the higher discus temp.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
To add to Paul's list:

Amano Shrimp
Siamese Algae Eater
Otos
Kuhli Loaches
Green Fire Tetras
Red Cherry Shrimp
Blue Pearl Shrimp

I've personally kept all the critters listed successfully with discus.

Mark

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I like having a shoal of ember tetras in my tank with the discus. I love the color of them and they are not intimidated by the size of the large full grown discus. The black tetras are another long-lived great addition to the tank. Mine are out and about all the time. A bit larger than the embers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store