New Blueberry shrimp tank photo thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Presently there are some Ramshorns and some pond snails. I will probably move a couple of MTS over to turn over the sand. I've seen some Hydra in there, as well…. Sigh.

When my order comes in from Rachel on the 22nd, I will have some Blueberries, twelve or so, and a couple of Amanos in this tank.

I have Java fern, a tiny bit of Riccia that hitchhiked on, and is attached to, one of the Java Ferns, some Christmas moss, a bit of Java moss, one stem of Anachris, one tiny crypt (not sure what variety), and I think the long stuff on the right is some dwarf Sag from Petco; I have a quarantine tank for plants that I get locally and run a UV sterilizer on that tank.

Plant experts please correct me on that if wrong on the Dwarf Sag ID. :)

I'm getting some marimo balls from Mgamer for this tank,too.

The wood is African root wood. The substrate is Estes Black Marine sand. There are some river rocks. I think the lighting is an 18 watt... or maybe 23, not sure. The filter is an old AquaTech that just keeps on running.

I don't have a heater in there yet, but think I should get one. The house temp is around 72 during the day and drops to 70 at night right now, but in the winter time we let the house drop down to 62 and sometimes lower, so I'm thinking it will get too cold for them.

I will post more pics when my shrimp get here. I'm so excited to be getting the Blueberries.

New shrimp tank empty.JPG

shrimp thread2.JPG

shrimp thread3.JPG

shrimp thread4.JPG

The tank stand is a clunky banged up night stand that survived a house fire we had years ago, but I think it will do.

I had a clunky UV Sterilizer in there for a few days; I wanted to kill any nasties on the wood and plants.

shrimp thread5.JPG

I moved the wood around a bit, The plants have really filled in well, haven't they? (don't know why this font got so small... and I couldn't change the dang font size for some reason!)

shrimp thread6.JPG

shrimp thread7.JPG

shrimp thread8.JPG

Do you guys think the layout looks ok, or do you think the wood placement should be more in the center?
Also, I removed this black prefilter because it is clogging up too quickly. Now I have a piece of Fluval foam as prefilter, but I hate the yellow/white look of it. I need to get a small sponge filter replacement sponge to use as a prefilter.

Wish I had a better camera; this is my iPhone camera. The glare from the overhead light in these pics really changes the look of the colors and messes up the detail on that Christmas moss. I just love that stuff. It's so frilly and delicate looking.

New shrimp tank empty.JPG shrimp thread2.JPG shrimp thread3.JPG shrimp thread4.JPG shrimp thread5.JPG shrimp thread6.JPG shrimp thread7.JPG shrimp thread8.JPG

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks, Ziggy! :) I sure hope so! I want them to be happy, fruitful, and multiply, lol.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Mel you did an excellent job!

I'm always looking for the perfect piece of driftwood and I can never find it. It looks great with the moss.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks, Holly! :) This piece of wood was a neat find.

My hope was that the moss will fully cover the wood up the sides and form a bridge across the top, and I think it's well on its way.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Wow, that's a beautiful tank. I wish I had the patience to plan a design. I just throw the plants in and hope they grow.:headshake2:

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I think the wood placement looks better off-center! Keep it the way it is, good luck!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Wow, Mel! That's simply gorgeous :) I love the natural look of it. I think the prefilter sponge you're going to be happiest with is something like this: http://www.bigalspets.com/Supreme-Prefilter-Sponge-Mag-Drives/dp/B0002564GW

You need something really coarse, almost like Poret foam. In fact, I think some members on here could probably spare some :)

Can't wait to see more pics, especially when the inhabitants come in!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks, Jacki. :) Your tanks always are gorgeous so whatever you're doing you sure do it right. :)
Thanks, Guppyman. :) I like the off center look, too, I appreciate your input.
Thanks, Nicole. :) I appreciate the kind words. Thanks for the tip on the prefilter. I've seen Poret foam on the Angelfish plus website; I think that's where I saw it. If anyone on AC has any scrap big enough to use as a prefilter, and would be willing to sell or trade I'd sure like to make a deal. :)

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Your dwarf sag looks more like microsword to me. Either way it looks great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store