Red Tide or What

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stokesrl

Registered Member
Aug 13, 2011
I have had some stuff that keeps covering the walls of my tank on top of my coralline algae. It doesn'r really grow on anything else. It varies between brow/rust and a crimson color. It has a texture similar to velvet. It is very very difficult to scape off. Here is a photo:
tank.jpg

I have 20k metal halides and 420 power compacts. Water PARMS are good.

Any Ideas would be appreciated

tank.jpg

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
it's a fuzzy algae, a good turbo snail will eat it

or it could be bryopsis.. in which increase your Mg to over normal params to kill it

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
it's a fuzzy algae, a good turbo snail will eat it

or it could be bryopsis.. in which increase your Mg to over normal params to kill it
Not quite that simple. Simply dosing Mag to 1500-2000 levels does not seem to have any effect on hair algae. It is something within Kent Tech-M when used to raise mag to close to 2000 that seems to kill it. Simply dosing Mag supplement from Bulkreefsupply or B-Ionic doesn't seem to have any effect on hair algae but I don't think that is what the OP has anyway.

Turbo snails seem to get "lazy" after a few months and don't do nearly as much work as they do initially. I would toss in a couple new turbos and see how they act. It is a cheap way to try and solve it and if it doesn't you have a couple new cleaners anyway.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like turf algae if it is more encrusting but soft. My recommendation would be a tuxedo urchin and some new turbos like Ace mentioned. Of course scraping the glass and siphoning it out would work too :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store