Bearded Dragons??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

futurevet

AC Members
Jul 18, 2011
Real Name
Hannah
Hello,
My brother is in the process of researching bearded dragons, and I figured that AC members on this forum might be able to give some advice. I do have a few questions that need answering, but any advice is appreciated.

Q1: how big of a tank do we need to keep a single bearded dragon? Are they OK living in solitude?
Q2: what does the temp. need to be? The humidity?
Q3: what is a safe substrate? What can we use to decorate the terrarium?
Q4: what do they eat?
Q5: how do you tame a bearded dragon? We're going to get a juvenile (I think).

Thanks! :)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
they need atleast a 40 gallon breeder but 55 gallon is better and 75 is even better but a custom made enclosure is best. they do best in solitude. while juvenile it needs to be from 105 to 110 and adult around 100. they dont really need humidity. tiles, and repticapet for juvies, and play sand (NOT ANY KIND OF REPTILE SAND) for adults,, but i stick with tiles bc its easier and it trims their nails. rocks, branches, fake plants, a hammock. crickets, and a varied diet of vegies (turnip greens, collard greens, etc.). as juvies they will eat mostly crickets but in adult hood they will eat mostly veggies(1 year of age= adulthood). all you gotta do is handle the beardie daily.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=824
http://www.dachiu.com/care/abeard.html

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Q1: how big of a tank do we need to keep a single bearded dragon? Are they OK living in solitude?
I kept a single in a 40 gallon breeder but bigger is always better. I prefer my animals to have some company but if you want two or more make sure you get them at the same time and they are the same size. Also, you will need to provide at least one basking spot per dragon.
Q2: what does the temp. need to be? The humidity?
Average daytime temp should be around 90-100 F with a basking spot that gets between 105-110. Night temps should stay above 75 with 80 being better. Humidity should be low. You don't have to make it much lower than your house just don't let it get above 40 or 50%. With proper temps and ventilation, humidity shouldn't be an issue.
Q3: what is a safe substrate? What can we use to decorate the terrarium?
Newspaper or paper towels are easiest to clean but you could do tile as well. They can handle sand but I it is harder to clean and should be completly replaced every month or so as urine will start to build up. Other than that wood is always good to have.
Q4: what do they eat?
Basically anything. I suggest keeping fruits and veggies in the tank all day and then feed crickets, mealworms, waxworms, earthworms and roaches. Always dust the food with a calcium based powder. If you have an exotic vet around they should be able to supply you with a good quality dust.
Q5: how do you tame a bearded dragon? We're going to get a juvenile (I think).
Handle them daily. I like to spend time outside and when I had my dragon I just took him out with me. We would lay by the pool for hours. It also provides the dragon with real sunlight which is always reccomended.
My thoughts in bold.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
its not recomended to have multiple. males and males fight. males will stress females bc they always want to breed and the female wont be ready and females and females still leave them stressed. ive heard that as long as your room temp doesnt fall below 70 at night then you dont need to keep the temp up. (its cold in deserts at night)

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
its not recomended to have multiple. males and males fight. males will stress females bc they always want to breed and the female wont be ready and females and females still leave them stressed. ive heard that as long as your room temp doesnt fall below 70 at night then you dont need to keep the temp up. (its cold in deserts at night)
Not always. I know many people who have kept multiples together with no problems at all. It does however come down to the actual dragon. Some could care less while others will attack anything in their cage.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Not always. I know many people who have kept multiples together with no problems at all. It does however come down to the actual dragon. Some could care less while others will attack anything in their cage.
if you were to keep multiple id say a 125 gallon tank minimum or a custom tank, someone would have to be experience or researched ALOT, and youd need to get 2 sisters that grew up together or were really small. always have a back up plan though just like fish.

futurevet

AC Members
Jul 18, 2011
Real Name
Hannah

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Actually a 40 gallon breeder is better than a 55 because it has a bigger footprint. A 55 is only 12" wide which is no good for an animal that can get almost twice that in length. A 75 is even better.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
Bearded dragons are perfectly content to live alone. Minimum tank size of a 40 Gallon Breeder, I agree with ViciousFish that a 55 is no good because it is too narrow. If you are going to get more than one, you need to at least double the tank size so each can have its own territory. I prefer tile in my reptile tanks because it is very easy to clean and disperses the heat easily.

futurevet

AC Members
Jul 18, 2011
Real Name
Hannah
Are 40g breeders hard to find? What makes them different from other 40g aquariums? What are the dimensions for a 40g breeder??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store