Cichlids with plecos ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
First off, I know 0 about cichlids. I have 2 pairs of bolivian rams in my community tank, but know next to nothing about them. That said, I was wondering who keeps cichlids with their plecos ? I have 3 x 40 gal breeders, 1 with L240s (6" or larger), 1 with L450s, and 1 with L400s. And I am wanting to add something to these tanks so that I can see more than tails wagging at me. Any suggestions ? Thanx much.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I've kept honduran red points with them before, they can be nasty sometimes though.

Boston Pets in Peabody is supposed to be getting some nice kribs, apistos and rams in soon. All of those will work with them in a 40b, I've kept JD's, Blood Parrots, and Firemouths with them too although you may want a 55 or bigger to keep bigger cichlids with them.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I actually keep pleco's with my cichlids, such an overabundance of BN that they're in almost every tank now. I wouldn't recommend keeping any of the Hypancistrus or other meat-eating sort with cichlids you want to spawn, or vice versa. The pleco's are likely to eat eggs, and the cichlids are likely to eat new pleco fry. Generally speaking though, unless you have a very territorial cichlid species and a lack of sufficient cover for the pleco/s there shouldn't be any real conflicts between them. I have breeding BN is tanks with Malawi peacocks and mbuna, SA and CA cichlids, a Carapo knife and a zebra knife. Also in a couple tanks w/out cichlids or other fry-eaters, those I pick out the brown fry and toss into the other tanks to take their chances. Greatly reduces the survival rate of the brown fry, but I have too many already so that's the idea.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Cichlids are a HUGE family of fish, from little community type fish like your Rams, up to huge 2 ft long psycho axe murderers, and everything in between.

So you will be able to find something that will work.

The plecos wont worry the cichlids, but are usually able to defend themselves from similar sized cichlid. Watch if you get pairs though, the cichlids can get pretty aggressive then, and don't like plecos poking around their potential breeding spots. But if you stick to compatible single fsih, or same sex, less aggression.

Smaller and more peaceful cichlids like Kribensis, keyholes, etc would be good. Even more aggressive ones like Convicts, Jewels or even Firemouths should be fine with a 6" pleco.

Those are all Sth American species, or African river species, so they prefer the same conditions as as your plecos.

I have an Oscar in with my big sailfin and they get along OK, I won't say they never fight, but they are evenly matched, and no one seems to get hurt, and used to have Kribensis with my smaller plecos.

Ian

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I've got various plecs in with my various cichlids. I've not had issues yet, save for my male nic (I assume it was him) killing my green phantom. That sucked. I would stick to the smaller and less aggressive cichlids like ianab suggesed (kribs, keyholes, curviceps, rams, checkerboards). If they're a prized plec I don't think I'd put any breeding pairs in with them (I know my L240 wasn't cheap, no way I'd put him in a 40g with a breeding pair of convicts).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store