A truly monster pleco!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..ok so i like to visit LFS..that are not so local..just with in a few hours drive.

while wandering threw one called Pet Purri ..i found this beast.

he was donated to them and claimed to be over 25 years old..he was kept in a tank much to small for him so you can see he is deformed...as reference that is a 200+ tank..the pleco on the glass was near 17 inches...

this beasts head was over 5 inches cross..i have NEVER seen a beast like this.
he is some sort of sailfin pleco....TRULY A MONSTER!!!!..all of the plecos in the tank were.

ENJOY!!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
and yet thats why i dont keep them in my 75.. that yet is a to small of a tank, plus im not a pleco fan lol, but wow, that guy IS a beast!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
That's sad.... IMO, being huge is one thing but being huge and healthy is truley impressive.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
That's sad.... IMO, being huge is one thing but being huge and healthy is truley impressive.
yeah its sad..but he made it this long and now being taken care of properly

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
We have had them caught in Buffalo Bayou up to 24" long.

Mark

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
WOW! Poor thing though having to be kept in an environment so small as to cause huge deformity. Bet he thinks he's in heaven now in that 200G tank!

Darwins_Dog

AC Members
Nov 15, 2007
Newmarket, NH
That is a good picture to keep around for everyone that thinks you can keep fish in a too small tank and they'll just stop growing. Glad it's in a better home now.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Plecos are cool and all, but I can't imagine devoting a 200 gallon tank exclusively to plecos. I know people charge a lot for those monster ones, $25 a pop or so, but that could just be a much more interesting display with a lot more valuable fish....looking at it from a dollars and cents point of view.

My LFS puts their monster plecos in with koi, and sells them as pond fish. Our climate is not quite tropical enough for that (we get freezing temps in winter, ponds get as low as 45 degrees routinely) but these 16"+ beasts need either a pond or a monster aquarium, where they will do pretty minimal "cleaning" and more waste production than anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store