Thinking about Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
I am in the process of moving my planted 75g to a 125g. Current stock is:

30 cardinal tetras
2 bristlenose plecos
4 albino cory cats
2 loaches
countless RCS
countless MTS

125g will have 3 XP3's w/ pre-filters and pressurized CO2

I was thinking about adding some adult discus once things settle in, but I am not really interested in doing water changes every other day or every 3 days -- I would like to stick to my once a week WC schedule.. so my question is, if I were to way under-stock the tank - say maybe just get some more cardinals and then 5 or 6 discus, would they be ok? Or would they still need the more frequent water changes regardless of filtration/stock?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
should be ok.. but remember Discus usually thrive in warm water.. even adults .
I prefer to keep my tank at 82-84. often the issue is finding plants that survive the warm temps.

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
Hmm... yeah.... good point....

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
It wouldn't be an ideal situation, but it could be done successfully and you could perhaps manage it properly with a once weekly wc, so long as your discus were adult size, say 5" or more, your filtration was excellent, and your weekly cleansing/maintenance routine was very good.
But I would suggest not adding any further dither stock. (i.e. cardinals)
The 2 loaches may, or may not, be a problem (what kind?), but your RCS (I assume it's Red Cherry Shrimps) probably wouldn't last very long with adult discus - there would be many great lunches for the discus for a while anyway.

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
Ah ok, screw it then :) I've got some really red cherries in there, and I really do want a larger school of cardinals. It was just a thought -- maybe one day when I want to use discus as the center piece, but now is not that time - thanks for replys :)

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
That's great, steph.
Don't know how large your RCS's were, and the size of your discus, but it seems somewhat unusual.
I've seen a few situations much to the contrary, but if your RCS's were in the tank first, I can see it working.
Would be a nice combination, and who knows, I may try it myself - IME, I've never kown any shrimp to be disregarded by discus in their diet, except good-sized Amanos. We live & learn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store