Red Bugs and Something Else

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
I have been ignoring the red bug problem for a while now simply because only two small corals were affected. the biggest of all was the green slimer. I have not seen it's polyps for several months, it lost color, and the tissue started retracting at the base. I also found some sort of black strands on the dead tissue. There were none on the live. I did not see it moving either. Here are the pics of the slimer:
Red Bugs2.jpgRed Bugs1.jpgRed Bugs3.jpg

Well the coral are in a small quarantine tank now. I treated them with Bayer Advanced Insect killer as per a thread on RC. It killed a lot of red bugs, but I have no Idea what those black things are.

Red Bugs2.jpg Red Bugs1.jpg Red Bugs3.jpg

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Gaaahhh.. I hate redbugs
got any intercepter?

looks like nematode or nematode poop? I'd also check to any other coral eating nudis or flatworms at night.
If anything you gott trim or seal the necrosed section with some superglue bro

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
The corals have been clean after treatment, but I am yet to see polyp extension. Oh, one of these came out of the rock. I believe it's a friendly one, but I took a pic anyways.
Bug2.jpgBug1.jpgBug3.jpg

On the side note, my sump started leaking. Grrrr...nothing sticks to that acrylic.

Bug2.jpg Bug1.jpg Bug3.jpg

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Drain the sump dry it out and apply the acid and some clamps to seal it back together

On a lighter note I just got a set of coral from my lfs, put them in my Q system. 7 days later a massive bumper crop of redbugs.. thank god i have multiple Q's and Bayer =)~

I'm gonna try to set my scope to record the killing spree if i have time

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
Well, the coral is bug free so far. I don't see the polyps though and I think the white band is expending slowly. It has a well defined line now. I hope is is not some white line or white band disease.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
scrape the dead skeleton, see if it smells like sulfur, if it smells, frag off the good portions away from the necrotised tissue, if not bad, but some superglue over the dead skeleton to act as a barrier

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
If anyone needs some intercepter, I do have some pills left =)

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
my three SPS frags bleached overnight. I don't know what happened. I think my wife forgot to turn the air conditioner on one day, but she would not admit it. Other corals including digitatas look OK so far. I did a water change and shaded them with the egg-crate wrapped in cellophane. The green slimer was the weakest and is a goner. The other two are still struggling. That sucks!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store