30 gallon odd tank ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bradalucas

Registered Member
Aug 21, 2011
http://www.csnstores.com/Midwest-Tr...arium-PT-3000-MTF1080.html?refid=FR49-MTF1080

I recently was able to pick up this tank or one closely matching it at a garage sale I couldn't resist the deal. Brought it home put it in corner and trying to figure out what and how to decorte it. It stands about 5 ft tall while this presents some challenges I know hoping to take advantage of it's height in some creative way. As of now I'm drawing a blank and wanting something along the planted natural look. The stand is also kinda odd covering the bottom 8 inches of the tank. I want to add gravel to be seen but also not going to add that much gravel. Any ideas are welcome as of know its my pet air tank! Tell me what you would do with the tank.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
load it with java moss and shrimp :thm:

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
How about a pair of dwarf Julidochromis (dickfeldi, transcriptus or ornatus) along with a pair of N. brevis shellies at bottom? The brevis will be fine with that much bottom space, but you'll need some tall thin rocks to allow the Julies to swim up and down the entire tank. Julies hug rocks and will use all the space in the tank going up top.

Eric

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
fake fish maybe? not much of any live fish can live in there.. id say angels but its to small ( hieght is good but the width and lenth is to small )

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, make the tank super-heavy planted and the oxygen problem wouldn't be all that much a factor Still worries, just get a very good airpump, or a regular pump for curculation. What I'd be worried about it cleaning it. Man, getting algae off the bottom would be a real pain without some good algae eating snails...

I would do a super planted invert tank. Try to find a tall piece of driftwood or rock to be in the middle, and then carve cups in it to hold plants. Use fishing line to keep them from falling out. Use fishing line to hold java moss to the rock. Keep tank in a high light area. Some snails (briggs may be pushing, may not?) and shrimps would be about it. Possible some nanofish or super tiny fish that like up-down V/S side to side?

Note: You will want to set up the rock and plants, then lower the entire assembaly into the tank.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
It would cost a fortune to set up and run but if you equipped it for salt that would be an absolutely stunning jellyfish tank. Reminds me of one they had at the Chattanooga aquarium a few years ago when the "JELLIES!" exhibit came through. :)

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
That is quite interesting. Does the tank drain and filter from the bottom? Maybe think about a palludarium. Fill the bottom 1/3 with water and leave the top as a tropical rain forest. You could create some sort of tower with mosses and orchids growing. Maybe add some frogs or salamanders to it and crustraceans too. If I did that, I'd set a speaker up around it and play rainforest themes.

Bradalucas

Registered Member
Aug 21, 2011
I have been tossing around the idea of making a custom under gravel filter using reverse flow power heads. In addition to this will also run a hob filter and keeping the fish load to a minium of mainly smaller tetras or the like. If I make a custom under gravel using egg crate would leaving 2 to 3 inches of space at bottom of tank be a bad idea? My thought on doing that was to raise the level so I could then have the gravel or substrate visible, since the stand covers the bottom 12 inches. My idea was to prop egg crate on PVC tubing in bottom of tank and have one going to top of tank also for the powerhead. Any thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store